Chapter 34 - The Interview

Start from the beginning

Harriet looked up at him in bewilderment as she processed what she at first thought was an insult before he added, "............You already please me more than you know......every day."

A bright smile spread across Harriet's lips as she slowly reached out towards her lover.

Maggie laughed as her father bent down and gave her mother a deep, loving kiss.

—————————————————————

Severus hadn't intended to give Harriet the idea that he had imposed a demand about when he expected their family to grow.

He took great comfort in the subtle moments of secluded intimacy that came with having a mate, those sweet affections, not only in the pursuit of physical pleasure, that were exchanged between lovers.

It was during those wonderfully meaningful little instances of gentle kisses, calming back rubs, and light touches that he sought to provide a similar comfort to his mate.

A few weeks passed and Harriet dropped some of the militaristic routines that she had adopted in favor of resuming more of her previous, lighthearted attitude.

For that, Severus was genuinely glad.

Above anything else in the world, any want or need of his own, he valued Harriet's happiness.

He did not, however, value the shark-like grin that he saw on Rita Skeeter's face as he sat across from the notorious journalist for The Daily Prophet at Kingsley's request.

Severus had returned to Hogwarts, also at the Minister's wish, to make an appearance during the castle's charity ball one Saturday evening.

Students were prohibited from entering the Great Hall that night as dignitaries, staff members, and Ministry officials all mingled with each other and discussed the welfare of the school, the election, and the recipients of the evening's collections.

Such occasions were rare but not unheard of during a regular election year, but social events were not particularly Severus Snape's forte.

If Harriet hadn't agreed to go with him, then he would have vehemently refused.

Harriet had brought Maggie along that night, at Kingsley's request.

While the party continued behind them, Harriet sat next to Severus, with Maggie on her lap, across from Rita Skeeter in the faculty passage that led to the High Table.

"Severus Snape......" Rita Skeeter said with great emphasis. She furrowed her brow and pursed her lips as she looked at her frowning interviewee, "........Of all the things you thought that you'd ever do, I'm sure you never considered being lucky enough to sit for one of my chats!"

"..............Clearly not." Severus replied in a low drawl.

Rita's Quick-Quotes Quill flew across the pad that hovered in the air next to her while Harriet peered at her old adversary distrustfully.

"Well, then, Mr. Snape," Rita chirped as she tilted her head at Severus and gave him a smile that made Harriet want to gag, "Go on! Tell me everything........for a man so bitterly dejected such as yourself, you certainly have captivated the attention of the general public! Why do you think that is? What's so fascinating about a dull, uninteresting, nondescript, old potions professor, eh? The readers of The Daily Prophet want to know all about you, your role in the war, your bid for office, your love story....."

Harriet frowned as Rita's piercing gaze fell on her like a predator eyeing its prey.

"Harriet Potter." Rita finally acknowledged her with a sharklike smile.