SC 14. Night Thoughts

Y/N's POV

Clockwise. Mix it ten times clockwise. Mix it ten more times counter clockwise. Repeat. What's this? Am I making some sort of magical potion here? My brows furrowed as I read the instructions that Yu Yan formulated.

"Yu Yan, what the heck is this? Am I supposed to be making a potion or something?" I huffed as I looked up at her.

"Don't be stupid. I made it like that to ensure that the mixture would incorporate well without making the cake too airy." She replied as she popped a piece of chocolate into her mouth.

"So you don't want the cake to rise, then." I pointed out and rose a brow.
"Exactly! See, I figured if the cake is dense, it's more packed and you get full easily. Which then means that you eat less. Less cake means less unhealthy choices." She exclaimed and grinned.

"That doesn't make sense. It would kinda be an illusion. You only think you're eating less but it's actually just the same because it's just dense. Right?" Keran spoke up, making us turn to her.

"She actually has a point. Shocker." I commented and Keran's eyes narrowed in on me.

"Don't glare at her." Yuxin piped up from beside her and hit her on the arm.

"Your favoritism is showing, Yuxin." Keran rolled her eyes and moved away from Yuxin. "I wasn't even glaring at her and she started it." She added and pointed at me.

"Can you all just shut up so we can finish this and we can finally eat dinner? And Lu Keran, stop questioning me." Yu Yan ordered about, obviously already fed up as she gave us a blank look.
"You mean, so Y/N can finish it." Lin Fan mumbles under her breath and Yu Yan was quick to glare at her.

"Shut up."

"Okay, noted."

"Both of you, shut up. Did you preheat the oven, Keran?" I asked as I transferred the batter into the baking pan.
"Ugh, what?" Keran mumbled, making me look at her and raise a brow.

"I told you to preheat the oven like 30 minutes ago. Did you?" I questioned and watched as she started shifting from one foot to another and scratched her head.

"Erm... I don't... know what you're talking about?" She trailed off and my eyes narrowed. "I'm sorry! I still wanna live and graduate and work and all that!"

"I already preheated the oven while she was busy messing around with Lin Fan." Yuxin spoke up as she stepped beside me. Her eyes slightly curved and her lips are turned up into a small smile. How cute.

I grinned back at her and nodded. "Thanks." I said as I patted her on the back before I carried the baking pan to the oven with her, following behind.

"See? You could've said it earlier and not wait until I nearly had a heart attack! Keran complained.
"You deserved it for not listening earlier." Yuxin simply said as she opened the oven and I put the batter inside.

I then set the timer and temperature before walking to the sink and washing my hands. "Right! Let's eat, I'm hungry." I announced as I went over to the dining table.

Yu Yan had really been feeling generous and had arranged a barbecue set-up for us. I could already feel myself getting more and more excited as I took in the variety of food on the table. Without anything else, we all took a seat around. I settled next to Yu Yan as it's for sure that she'll be the one cooking. I'll be closer to the source.

"I'm gonna cook!" Lin Fan spoke and raised a pair of thongs.
"Ugh, I'd better take that." I muttered as I took the thongs away from her. "We don't want to cause a fire." I added and she huffed at me.