5. Friday Night Fiasco

Y/N's POV

"Minsu, Y/N, go prepare the table." Mom ordered as my brother and I watched her move around, arranging and rearranging the furniture, aligning pictures and paintings that hung on the wall and brushing nonexistent dust from the shelves.

It's easy to see that she's nervous, for reasons Minsu and I don't know. She has been like this since the moment we got home. She even decided to close the shop early just to cook and clean. If I didn't know better, I'd think that the queen is on her way to our house.

"What are you so nervous for, mom?" I asked as I stepped into the kitchen, Minsu not too far behind me.
"I'm not nervous dear. I just want to make sure that everything is perfect." She answered, not bothering to even stop what she's doing.
"She is nervous." Minsu whispered to me, making me nod.

I've only ever see mom this frazzled every time dad comes home. Which is understandable. Of course mom would want the house to be perfect and spotless for when dad comes home. He only visits us once or twice a year for a week, so we try to make it last.

"Don't tell me dad is coming home and you didn't tell us." I said as I started to take plates out while Minsu handled the utensils. For the first time since Minsu and I got home, mom stopped walking around. She looked at us and shook her head.

"Your dad won't be coming back until next year, I think." She answered, flashing us a smile as she saw our disappointed expression.
"Then why are you so frazzled mom? You only get like this whenever dad comes home." Minsu asked, making me utter out a 'yeah' In agreement as I started arranging the plates on our table.

"Well, the relatives that are arriving are from your dad's side. And you know things aren't exactly squeaky clean with them." Mom explained quietly, making me pause from what I'm doing and look at her.

So my hopes and wishes didn't come true. Not only is my weekend totally ruined now, I also have to deal with relatives from the bad side of the family tree. But what confuses me is why are they visiting. I mean, they rarely do, maybe for the last five years they only visited twice with the reason that they want to visit dad, but that's all about it.

"Oh, so how many extra plates then?" I asked, not bothering to ask the question to mom and make her more nervous that she already is.
"Three would do." She answered as she went to the stove to check on the food. I just hummed to let her know I heard and continued arranging the table with Minsu.

"God, I hope the ones visiting aren't as struck up as the last." Minsu whispered to me, making me elbow him on the ribs.
"Shush. If mom hears, we're gonna get an earful." I whispered back.

He huffed as he placed the last set of utensils on the table before grabbing my wrist and pulling me along with her towards the living room, a pout on her lips.

"Mom, jie jie and I are in the living room if you need more help!" He called back to mom who gave us a thumbs up, still leaning on the stove.
"Alright!"

"Jie jie, remember dad's cousin who visited us last? Aunt Marge? She was horrible! She made us, even mom, clean up for her, and not only that, she was also conceited and struck up!" He whined out, still a little quiet as we sat on the couch. I rolled my eyes and leaned back on the couch, head facing upwards.

"I know, Minsu. God that horrible aunt! But it's not like we can just face up to them and be like 'nope, we don't want you here. You can leave. Bye.' And just slam the door on their faces." I sighed just as irritated as him.

"Wanna try?" He asked making me let out a laugh and reach out to ruffle his soft hair.
"If you want mom to whoop your ass with a slipper, then be my guest." I joked, smiling as she swatted my hand away and started to fix his hair.