(Boromir x Reader) Broken Promises

Start from the beginning

~•~

It felt strange now. Boromir seemed to not be as weary of you but you could still sense there was something he disliked about you. You guessed he was just getting use to you being there. Three months had past and the Fellowship were getting tired.

You had been under attack most of the day. Wolves had hunted your camp by the river when you had awoke and orcs had found you on the road. Merry had been injured and Boromir had just managed to save his life. But you were all safe now. Merry was healing well, only a small scratch to his leg.

The sun was starting to fade and the Fellowship had taken camp on a cliff top. Everyone was asleep and you couldn't manage to keep your eyes shut. You rose, expecting to have a moment alone. But you saw Boromir sat, staring into the flames. You decided you would walk past and ignore him, like he had to you so many times before. But there was a sorrow surrounding him. You could sense it. It was one of your gifts after all.

"What troubles you?" You asked softly as you allowed your person to be revealed by the light of the fire.

He looked up, but the usual distaste was not there. "I am fine."

You scanned him a second and then sighed, sitting beside him. "You are troubled, Boromir. My blood tells me so."

"You can sense it?"

You looked at him but he still gazed into the fire. "You've seen me use magic in battle. But how do you think I know when we are under threat? I can sense emotion: grief, anger, desire. They all speak of threat." He turned to look at you. "Right now. I sense your sadness, Boromir."

He took in a deep breath and then said nothing more. You waited in the silence and then decided it would be best to leave. As you positioned yourself to rise, his voice broke to a soft whisper. "I almost didn't save him."

You froze, your brows creasing as you turned to him. It took a second to understand and then you let your eyes sadden. "But you did, Boromir. Merry is safe, and alive. Because of you."

He shuffled a bit and kept his gaze on the fire. "But I almost didn't. I do not know how well I can protect the little ones. You have saved them multiple times. I envy your ability to fight so well."

You did not think your face hid your shock. Boromir had either ignored you or just spoken of his lack of trust in you for the past few months.

You let out a soft sigh, noting that the emotions were still lingering. "Boromir, we can only fight to the best of our ability, only protect the same way. No one can ask any more of us. You would give your life for the hobbits, you know that. I know that. You have fought for them and continue to do so. And their lives and safety are eternally grateful for that." You felt his aura soften slightly. "And my magic may let me fight well, but I have my own burdens to bare. You are loved so much by your kingdom and your brother and now the Fellowship. Love is stronger than any sword or bow."

His gaze flickered to you then. "Why do you hide yourself so much?"

Your eyes widened and you swallowed. "I may as well tell you everything now, if we are being so open about our feelings." You took in a deep breath. "I am similar to Aragon. A Ranger of sorts. Except we focus on magic and I am apart of a large society of our people. We are called Reys. I was sent to help the Fellowship by our leaders. They knew that without me you may not have survived the intensity of that orc pack, and you may need my assistance in the future."

Boromir's eyes were wide. "Why-why did you never say? Letting me continue to be so distrustful?"

"Because I don't like pressure, Boromir." You said sheepishly. "The pressure from the Reys to keep you all safe. The pressure to perform as well as my brothers and sisters. And the pressure to help you all simply because I care for you. And your distrust was your own decision, Boromir."

He looked away, guilt wiping across his face. "You are right. And I am sorry. One could say that I do not take kindly to strangers." He said with a mischievous smirk. You chuckled lightly.

"You do not. But I don't blame you. You are protective, I respect that."

"Thank you." He said suddenly. "For listening to me despite my rudeness."

"Always." You replied. He gazed at you for a second and you felt his aura change again. Admiration? You felt strangely uncomfortable in the silence so chose to break the silence. "Now that we are clearly so well accompanied." You mused before turning serious. "Can you promise me something?" He hesitated and then nodded. "That you won't burn yourself out in order to protect others? There is only so much we can do, Boromir."

He gazed into your eyes and then smiled slightly. "I promise."

~•~

Boromir couldn't fight them off. All he wanted was to protect the little ones. Your heart had never hammered so aggressively. You let sparks fly from your palms and blaze into the orcs. But you couldn't keep up. None of you could. And then you heard the fatal fall. And you heard heavy breaths.

"Boromir!" Your scream echoed and allowed spark to leap from your skin. They fired at the remaining orcs.

Aragon ran to his friend, holding him. You stood, walking up slowly, trying to make your legs drag you towards his slumped body. Crouching beside him, Aragon let you see his face as he moved out of the way.

"(Y/n)." Boromir breathed. You hated hearing him say your name with such little energy. Ever since your fireside chat, you had both spoken more, often spending more night talking of your home land. He had always remembered his promise he made to you that first night, and so had you. Now, he was breaking it.

"Boromir." You could help the tears falling. "Please don't leave me. Don't leave us. There is so much more for you to do."

His hand reached up to your face and wiped away you tear. "I'm so sorry I could not keep my promise."

"No." You whispered. "Don't you dare apologise to me. Your bravery has saved the little ones."

"And your bravery has saved us all, endlessly." He replied, a weak smile forming on his face. "Be proud, (Y/n). Your people could never have a warrior as strong as you."

Aragon had started holding your shoulders and pulling you away as much as you cried and resisted. You knew you needed to go but you gave your self one last moment to place a kiss onto Boromir's lips. "Wait for me." You whispered.

"Always." He breathed for the last time.