38

We arrive at the lot and Nik excitedly jumps out of the car before speeding around to my side and opening the door for me. I can't help but smile at his giddy expression. 

As we walk over the to containment truck Nik tries calling Bekkah again. When she doesn't pick up my worry for the blonde original increases. Bekkah always answered after the 2nd call.

"Rebekah, where are you? Pick up the phone, darling. Daddy's dead. It's time for a family reunion." Nik hands up leaving the voicemail along with the 3 others he had already sent this morning. Just as he was about to put the phone down I hear it beep once more letting him know he had another incoming call.

"Stefan. Miss me already?" A Nik greats Stefan I pause in my steps and look around. I couldn't figure out why but something felt off, as if something was out of place. I didn't voice this though since a witches magic could become slightly unpredictable during pregnancy the same way emotions changed. 

I snap out of my thoughts when I hear Nik open the door to the truck. I step over so I'm standing next to him and suddenly understand the feeling I had along with his rapid shift of emotions. 

"No" I turn my attention to my mate as he growls and focus on my vampire hearing so I could hear Stefan on the other end.

"What's the matter, Klaus? Missing something?"

"What are you doing?"

"I'm just enjoying my freedom."

"I will kill you and everyone you've ever met."

"You do that and you will never see your family again. I wonder, Klaus, as someone who's been one step ahead for a thousand years. Where you prepared for this?"

Nik hands up the phone and almost crushes it in his palm. I stand behind him and place my chin on his shoulder while wrapping my arms around his waist. "We'll find them. I promise."

I feel his wolf relax slightly at my touch and the sound of my wolf purring. "Come on, lets go home for a bit, make a plan."

"Okay love." He takes my hand and kisses the back before gently pulling me back to the car. Instead of going back to mine he drives to the house I had been renovating. Even with the house almost fully complete, there were only a few more room to finish renovating, it had turned put beautifully.

On the way Nik call Tony and has him keep an eye on Elena. I knew he was simply trying to annoy the doppelgänger and honestly I couldn't find it in me to stop him. Who was I to ruin his fun. 

The moment we get inside Nik kisses my cheek before going into his art studio. I watch as he closes the door but leaves it open slightly. This was his way of letting me know that he wanted some time alone but that he wasn't shutting me out. 

I leave him to his own devices but let him feel my emotions so he knows I'm still here as I walk into my study. I had a drawing desk in here too as well as the studio. While Nik and I were mates that didn't mean we wouldn't want some time apart from each other to actually get stuff done. 

I finished the rest of the blueprint for a client before taking a picture of it and sending it to them for approval. By now it was lunch time and I felt Nik open his side of the bond more, letting me know he no longer wanted to be alone. I slip my phone back into my pocket and cross the living room from my study to the studio.  Even though I knew he wanted me to be here I still knock gently on the door twice before I open it and step inside. 

The room was filled with the smell of fresh oil paint as my mate sat perched on a tall stool in front of a canvas, brush raised in one hand and a wooden paint tray in the other. There was a second stool next to him that held a glass of water, that had become murky from the paint, a rag and second pot of brushes. 

In one corner of the room rested an assortment of canvas' of all different sizes. Some were held on shelfs that were built into the wall while others rested on the floor, propped up by the wall. The ones on the floor were already covered in a layer of white paint to minimise the amount of texture of the canvas itself that would show once a painting was complete. 

In the other corner there was a few easels. some were folded away, unused, while a few were set up and displayed a few pieces that he had either recently done and were still drying or ones he had yet to finish. The other side of the room was my work station that had been filled with blueprint paper and construction paper. I also had built in shelves except mine were filled with different types of materials such as floor and carpet samples. 

The room had a slightly cluttered look since there was something everywhere you looked but not the the point of feeling claustrophobic , just well used and loved. I walk over to my mate and rest my forehead between his shoulder blades and take in his scent, calming my wolf. After a moment I stand up straight and look at the piece he was making. 

"I was thinking it could be the first piece of art in our sons room."

(A/N the painting is not mine, I found it on google

(A/N the painting is not mine, I found it on google. This piece is called Spring kisses and is by Crista Forest. All rights go the them.)

The painting was beautiful. He had captured my white wolf perfectly in the sunlight, layed in a meadow with a small brown wolf cub licking my wolfs snout. It was a picture that represented me and our unborn son. "Its beautiful my love, What are you going to name it?"

He was quiet for a moment as he added one final brush stroke and picked a different bush. He signed his signature in the corner in think black lines before putting everything down and leaning back on my slightly. "My heart." Not being able to put my emotions into words I simply push them to him to let him feel them. Nik turns on the stool and cups my face in his hands, careful not to get any paint on me. He tilts my face up as he brings his down. Our lips meet in the middle in a short sweet kiss. 

The moment however is ruined by Nik's phone beeping. He lets out a sigh of frustration before pulling his phone from his pocket. A text shone on his phone and after reading it he turns the screen to me. 

Grill - Tony

My brother was very much like me when it came to texting. Always short and to the point. To anyone else it would seem as if he was inviting us to the Grill when in reality he was letting us know where Elena currently was. 

"Well, love, Looks like its time to cause some trouble." Nik gives me a smirk that let me know just how much he enjoyed making people squirm. I shake my head slightly but smile anyway as I take my hand in his and pull him with me.