Chapter 2 - The Unruly Patient

ابدأ من البداية

"Don't move, don't move!" She cautioned him, placing a hand on his shoulder to steady him.

Once Severus stilled, Harriet withdrew her wand and let him hold it in one hand while she grasped his other.

"Go ahead." Harriet nodded at him, "I'm ready."

Mentally, Severus focused on the place he wanted to go and with a flick of his wrist, he apparated himself and Harriet out of St. Mungo's and straight to his shabby childhood home in Spinner's End.

They arrived with Severus lying on the grass of the front yard and Harriet crouching beside him.

She looked up at the dilapidated dwelling and then down at Severus.

The deep frown on his face was almost startling.

Severus Snape was mortified that Harriet Potter was about to see the conditions in which he had been raised. After he had inherited the house, he had made it a personal choice to go there as infrequently as possible. Sometimes he wished it would just burn down, but there it stood, defiantly in front of him and his former student.

"Right, then......" Harriet nodded at Severus, "Let's get you inside."

—————————————————————

A little while later, Harriet had managed to levitate Severus into the house after carefully guiding him through the doorway and placing him on the tattered sofa.

The inside of the house looked better than Harriet had anticipated. It was dated and it was worn, but it was decent. The conditions were not deplorable.

During each of Severus's infrequent visits, he did give the property a thorough cleaning. He had grown up in filth but that didn't mean that he had to live by the same standards in his adulthood.

Severus fell asleep on the sofa and Harriet took advantage of that time to prepare for her new job as a caregiver. Harriet owled Ron and Hermione to let them know where she was and what she had committed to do so they wouldn't be worried about her. Not wanting to leave Severus alone for long, she quickly found a nearby market and purchased some groceries. When she returned to the house and found that he continued to sleep peacefully, she read through the pamphlet that the nurse had given her at the hospital.

Charms for caregivers, intended to aid the ill, wounded, and otherwise incapacitated:

Hydration Charm - Provides the body with enough water for twenty-four hours. See instructions below.
Nutrition Charm - Can be used as a sustenance substitute in patients who cannot swallow or digest meals. See instructions listed on the next page.
Bathing Charm - Will leave all skin on the body fresh, clean, and dry, especially useful on the bedridden. See the back of this pamphlet for instructions.
Lavatory Charm - Assists those who are unable to visit the toilet on their own. Also see the back page of this pamphlet for instructions.

Please note that these charms are not intended to be used longer than a week, unless otherwise approved by a healer. For long term care, please contact St. Mungo's for assistance with finding a suitable facility.

Harriet felt a little anxious as she read over the instructions under each charm's description.

What if she made a mistake casting them and ended up causing her wounded headmaster further harm ?

Perhaps Harriet was a little too brave or too foolish, but while Severus slept, Harriet took out her wand and decided to practice the charms on herself.

—————————————————————

The charms worked and for that, Harriet was very glad.