Chapter 1 - Thank You

Start from the beginning

With a loud pop, Harriet Potter appeared seconds later outside of the dilapidated, foreboding Shrieking Shack.

Hastily, she walked towards the door.

Harriet knew she was Professor Snape's least favorite student and after witnessing his memories the previous night, she understood why.

Regardless, she had watched him fight for her, she had watched him die for her, and she had become aware that he had risked his own life to protect her for the past seven years. It didn't matter that he had done it all ultimately out of his affection for her mother, he had done it.

Harriet thought that although his tongue had always been sharp, his heart had been true, and for that, Severus Snape at least deserved a proper burial.

—————————————————————

The door to the Shrieking Shack creaked open as Harriet cautiously stepped inside. She wasn't terribly worried about running into anymore of her enemies, what business would they have there?

It was over.

It was finished.

However, the Shrieking Shack was so rickety and creaky, Harriet didn't entirely trust the floorboards not to give way underneath her.

She stepped swiftly in the darkened room towards the narrow, wooden staircase. One squeaky board at a time, she ascended the stairs towards the room where it had happened, where Hogwarts' most recent headmaster collapsed after he was slain.

That was one of Harriet's regrets after the battle, that she hadn't been able to stay with Severus Snape while he breathed his last, that there hadn't been time for her to stop him from being condemned to spend his last seconds on earth alone.

When Harriet walked into the room upstairs, she braced herself to be confronted with the smell and sight of death once more.

Her gaze immediately landed on a man, covered in black robes, lying in a pool of blood, with his dark hair tousled over his face.

Harriet frowned in sympathy as she approached.

At least she had remembered him.

At least she had found him.

She would take his body back to Hogwarts and have him cleaned and readied.

He would be given a funeral with dignity.

No matter how few were in attendance, Harriet would be there.

Harriet approached her fallen headmaster with a frown of sympathy.

The choking gurgle that issued from his throat nearly made her jump through the roof out of shock.

"H-Headmaster!" Harriet gasped as she instantly rushed forward.

Severus Snape had lost too much blood for long replies. His skin was starting to change into a mottled color as Nagini's poison crept through his veins, but he managed to crack his eyes open as Harriet knelt down and gently took him into her arms.

Severus blinked blearily as Harriet's face came in and out of focus while she called to him with determination, "Headmaster........Headmaster Snape!.........Hold on!"

Severus sighed, wheezing in the air through his badly gashed throat as he closed his eyes again and prepared for death.

How he had managed to hang on so long, he didn't know.

He had been awaiting his time to pass since Harriet had left him hours ago, since he had shared his memories with her in the form of his tears.

He had thought that the poison would have taken effect by then.