Chapter 1 - Thank You

The Dark Lord suffered a humiliating defeat in front of everyone. In front of his followers, in front of his enemies, and in front of the one destined to destroy him, Harriet Potter.

After all of the battles she had fought, the girl-who-lived would never have believed it was finally finished if she hadn't watched Voldemort die for the last time before her very eyes.

Harriet stood there on the battleground, breathing hard, covered in dirt and smears of blood, and glanced around once her nemesis had permanently faded from the world.

Voldemort's Death Eaters were forlorn. For a moment after their Dark Lord's demise, Harriet feared they may resume their attack and try to take revenge for their fallen master, but many of them were lying around the mutilated castle lifeless. The defeat of their leader apparently inspired them to abandon his cause.

Cheers from Harriet's allies erupted behind her and broke the eerie, unsettling silence, but Harriet barely heard them.

Her ears rang and her vision blurred as the shock of all that had happened really began to take hold.

Harriet confidently turned her back on the crowd of Death Eaters in front of her. She was confident that she had nothing else to fear from them, and she staggered through the throngs of her supporters, intent on visiting the Great Hall that housed the battle's injured and dead.

Hogwarts lay in ruins but that didn't decrease the grandeur of the castle's foyer, not even with the piles of rock and rubble that were littered across the stone floor.

On the steps, Harriet saw her best mates, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, clutching each other with their eyes still wide. In front of them stood Neville Longbottom, another of Harriet's friends. Harriet noticed that Voldemort's serpentine servant was lying cut in two at Neville's feet while he held Godric Gryffindor's sword firmly in his hand.

Neville looked over and nodded at Harriet.

Silently, Harriet nodded back before she continued on her way.

The doors to the Great Hall were wide open and Harriet entered them alongside the multitude of healers and visitors that bustled in and out.

Harriet frowned as she looked over the dead and listened to the injured's suffering.

It was nauseating to behold.

The cries, the wails, the bloodied bandages that were frantically changed and tied, not to mention the sheer despair that was expressed over lost loved ones.

Harriet saw Fred Weasley lying dreadfully still on a gurney and her heart sank.

Harriet saw Remus Lupin and his wife, his mate, Nymphadore Tonks, lying dead, side by side, and her heart sank even lower.

Harriet grieved for the couple especially, wondering about what would become of their young son.

Harriet looked down at the deceased couple and marveled at the love they had shared, the love she had seen between them.

Alpha and omega.

Perhaps it was the stress of the war, but Harriet had no idea yet which she would end up being.

Would she ever find a love like her former Professor?

Harriet sniffed and reeled in her thoughts, lowering her green eyes to the floor out of respect for her fallen friends as she staggered through the Great Hall.

There was someone Harriet was looking for that she didn't see and after the events of the last twenty-four hours, that bothered her profoundly.

Harriet turned and left the Great Hall. She moved as quickly as possible and she wasted no time in journeying to the edge of Hogwarts property.
Stepping over the broken line of protection that had been drawn around the school, Harriet was finally free to apparate and with a flick of the abused wand in her hand, she did so immediately.