Chapter 37: A Day with out Y/n

A/n: this one was rushed but kinda filler. But enjoy 

Shikamaru age 14, Tori age 9

Shikamaru p.o.v

I had just completed a two-week-long mission and Lady Tsunade gave me the next three days off. I wasn't a workaholic, I was just okay at what I do.

I was laying down on the grass, on 'that' hill, it had been about a year and five months since I had seen Y/n, not that I cared. It was nice and quiet, I could have a leisurely day, taking a nap and playing shogi and maybe I'll train tomorrow. I was drifting off to sleep when

"Big brother!" Although Y/n was gone, there was still Tori, she was 10x more energetic and girly. Since Y/n left, Tori and I have gotten closer and she truly has become like a little sister to me. "Oh, there you are, I bought you lunch, I followed one of the recipes big sis wrote out for me before she left. Try it, it's curry, I hope it's not burned like last time, tell me if it's good or not."

She gave me the bento box, wrapped just like Y/n would do it, I opened it, it smelled and looked good, she handed me the chopsticks, i tasted it, I waited to kill her with a few seconds of 'suspense'. "Ya stopped chewing 10.5 seconds ago, tell me if I got it right, seventh times a charm right!" I gave her a thumbs up, "You got it right, it tastes just like hers!" I told her, she jumped up and down in glee. She let me finish the food, "Can we hang out, aunt tsuna said you had the day off and I was wondering if you could teach me how to play shogi" I sighed but it was Tori, no one can say no to her, she's too adorable.

"Fine, but you have to clean your room" her smile disappeared and she made a face of disgust, "Ugh fine fine, I have been avoiding that and staying in Y/n room, it's cozier there" She then slipped her hand into mine, it's a habit both Senju girls have, we walked back to her other house, the Senju one.

Once we were in, up the stairs, and inside her room, even I wouldn't want to clean this. Her room was 3x bigger than mine, dresses, shoes, and everyday clothes all over the floor. Kunai and a few katans were also on the floor, plus a whole entire corner was hidden by a ridiculous amount of books and scrolls.

*Three long hours later*

We finally finished cleaning, and as expected she's read all those books and scrolls, explains why she can be a smart ass sometimes but it does help me since she has memorized most of the shinobi handbooks, she quizzes me.

We were both tired from the cleaning so we decided to play shogi, I explained the basics of it and she looked through the rule book and Tori quickly picked it up.

She spoke up, "I kinda saw Y/n two weeks ago at Princess Marie's wedding" I quickly looked up at her "What? Really, isn't she still out with Naruto? What do you mean by kinda?" she sighed, "Well the only times she has been allowed to come back are royal weddings and funerals, but she attends in secret, and only the person hosting said event gets to see her, She makes an exception for me, I got to talk to her for two minutes, she looked prettier. Oh and don't worry, Takashi didn't get to see her even though it was his sister's wedding" I raised my eyebrow at her, "I never asked if he did, and she is free to do as she wants, for all I care she could be with him if she wants" I had gotten over her, she was just a memory of the past in that way, I see her as a friend, no more no less, she's a Princess and I'm her guard, that is all we'll ever be.

Tori's face became serious. "You don't really mean that, you and I both know she will never date someone like that, I'd never let her." I moved my piece, I would probably win this game, "Yeah but she would never date anyone from here, plus most of the royals are her friends and or she can't stand them, so her options are limited in that sense. Plus she even said it herself that she would never like anyone from here!" I realized that I had raised my voice at the end since Tori looked concerned. Then her face dropped.

"I guess only team seven knows, huh" she made her move, I looked back at the shogi board, my calculation was wrong, she used a pawn and by what does she mean by that. "I know you're wondering, it's been a few years but her mindset hasn't changed. I'll tell you what I can" She looked up at the sky stalling and then at me, I gave her my full attention, I don't know why I care this much but I do.

"Before she left, as you know, My grandmama came over. Let's just say the whole entire time was hell for her. She had set her up on dates, and at the time, Y/n liked someone" she paused there thinking what to say next. While I, I didn't know what to think about the last part. Probably, Robin, she would never in a million years go for a guy like me.

"She yelled at Y/n for being childish, saying that love is worthless, and a lot of horrible things. She was not herself when she left. And she's changed for the good and bad. She thinks with her head as a ninja should but the emotional side, gone, to me she still acts the same but she's different. I am scared that she might do something stupid, like Sasuke did"

I felt my heart drop, "No! She's smarter than that, plus, she'd never leave you! You are her everything, whether you know it or not. Plus I can bring her back if it comes to that. She is not like Sasuke, she isn't driven by revenge like him. She is in a position where she can't fall into it. I love and care about her too much to let her go down that path!"

Tori smiled and moved her piece, "I win!". I looked down, she did in fact beat me, "Huh what the heck, you're a kid. You're smarter than I thought." She nodded vigorously "Oh, and did you just confess your feelings about my sister to me and I quote 'I love and care about her too much' you said, sound like something out of a book, have you been paying attention to me when I read aloud?" I got up and "No no no, oh gosh no, your sister is my friend. I was speaking for all of us, all our friends love her and care for her" I knew she was going to reply with some smart line but

"Hey Shikamaru! Tori!" Ino came running to us from the other side of the yard. "What's up?" I asked while Tori went in for a hug, Ino held her tight, "Hey Tori, I was wondering if you and our adorable little angel over here wanted to go out for BBQ, Asuma is paying and said to get you two, Oh and Konohamaru will be there" I think it was no secret to all the older 'kids' Tori had a little crush, it was weird seeing that. She is growing up.

She giggled "Okay let's go" and her and Ino ran off talking, I took my time, I locked away all thoughts I had of Y/n

It was never bound to happen, I should focus on what I had in front of me.

"Shikamaru!" I looked behind me, Temari, right, we have to plan the chunin exams, maybe she'd like to get lunch with us.

"Hey, you're early as always" I told her, "Gaara wanted me to get here as soon as possible. I see Ino and Victoria over there, where are you going to go out?" I nodded, "We were going to get BBQ, hey since you just had a long trip to come here why don't you come with us? I'm sure Asuma and the rest of us won't mind someone else" she nodded and we caught up to Ino and Tori.

I saw Tori's demeanor change, "So nice to see you Temari!" Ino cheerfully said as usual, "It really is! I hope all is well in the sand, you look well" Tori said with a closed eye smile, it was what she would say to other royals, when she wanted to keep the conversation short and move on. Ino pulled temari with her and both girls talked, Tori was behind with me.

"Shikamaru, you sit with me and I am hiring you for my next event in three days and I don't care if you have plans you're coming with" and she marched off over in the direction of Hokage Tower.

Great, I'll have to reschedule with Temari now. What a drag.