Chapter 56: Acceptance

Y/n p.o.v

I stood next to Shikamaru as he told my Aunt Tsuna the details of Asuma's death. All that I could think of was Kurenai. She was going to now be a single mother in a few months, that didn't sound ideal to me. Plus I felt worse since I knew he was going to propose to her tomorrow. I had the ring. It was in my office, the center drawer in my desk, locked with a key only I have.

"Y/n!" I looked up and around. Everyone had left already. "Sorry, I must be in over my head" I said to her, she sighed, got up from her desk, and hugged me. "How you holding up kid?" I started to cry. "It's horrible, it doesn't matter if I miss him, he has a baby on the way. It's not fair", Aunt Tsuna ran her fingers through my hair trying to calm me down. "I need to go see Aun-" "Shhhhh, once you're calm, you can go, right now Shikamaru is telling her the news. We all know now he isn't the best at dealing with loss by the way he has been acting lately" I nodded and there was a knock on the door, "Come in" Aunt Tsuna said and it was Robin. He bowed down, and I knew he was going to fill her in but. "I have to go. I need to see Auntie Kurenai. We'll talk later" I said and I patted his shoulder, his eye's didn't meet mine but he nodded and I left.

I teleported to her place and I ended up in my room. I walked out and looked at the entrance, the door was open, she was on the floor crying and Shikamaru tried comforting her. I went up behind her slowly and touched her shoulder and she quickly looked back, I opened my arms and she came in for the hug while crying. I looked at Shikamaru and I mouthed."I got it from here". This time I had to be the strong one for her. "Auntie, you have to get up, let's go to the couch." I said and she slowly pulled herself together for that brief moment. I closed the door and locked it and I held her as we walked to the couch and she sat down. I saw as she placed her hand on her lower abdomen, and she started to cry more. I just hugged her, "I promise you won't be alone. I promised Uncle I'd make sure everything would be okay, we're going to be fine. It's going to take some time but we're going to be fine" I said. I felt like shit on the inside but Auntie Kurenai would need me now, dealing with the loss of Uncle. Then eventually a baby would come to this world.

*Three days later*

I stood next to Konohamaru, holding him tight. I let a few tears out. Auntie was placing flowers over his grave. I looked around and Shikamaru still hadn't shown up. What the hell is up with him! Yes I might not be talking as much with him and yes maybe I am a little jealous that Temari gets to spend all her time with him, I'm only saying that once. But still, he should be here. Why should I even care? He was barely there for me when I felt like I needed someone the most, I thought he knew me well enough to see how much pain I was in when I lost her. Whatever

We stayed like that, all of us standing there, for a while and slowly everyone started to leave. Even Kurenai left and I was still there.

I sat down in front of the tombstone. I cried, no one was around to see me, I needed to let it out, if I'm going to be there for someone, I need to take care of myself.

I sat there for the whole day, crying or not, I just sat there contemplating life and how it throws you anything and you can't always be prepared. At this moment I realized, I should truly value and cherish more those who are close to me. "Come on Y/n, it's getting dark. Let's go back to the big house" Aunt Tsuna said as she helped me up. She handed me a makeup remover wipe, "Let me guess, my mascara, I look like a crazy person" I said with a small laugh at the end to lighten up the mood and I looked at where Uncle Asuma laid. "You would probably be laughing and calling me a raccoon" I said as I wiped my face and walked back home with my Aunt.

Once I was inside my place, I didn't think I would cry, but right at the entrance, on the table that was there, there was a picture of Uncle Asuma and my sister. I hadn't been home since Tori passed.