Professor Lupin's question caught me off guard, and I hesitated for a moment, unsure of how to respond.

"No," I said truthfully.

There was a part of me that wanted to speak my mind to him—

"Yet, that's the only thing you are to me, right? So what does it matter?" I added.

—but I couldn't.

"Lily's daughter is dear to me—thought you would've figured that out by now."

As his words sank in, I found myself fidgeting with my necklace, lost in thought.

My mind couldn't help but draw a bittersweet conclusion.

I realised that while I may hold significance in his life, it wasn't enough for him to fulfil his role as my godfather, or so it seemed.

Once more, his gaze wandered towards my necklace, his amber-coloured eyes lingering on the golden pendant.

"I get the feeling you recognise it. Do you?" I wondered aloud, extending the golden heart pendant towards him.

"Lily would never take it off, ever since she got it."

"Who did she get it from? My Dad?"

"Me."

Oh.

"Why is there a paw on the heart?"

"Your mother was the greatest animal lover I have ever known and know. She attracted animals and was always surrounded by them."

I took a shuddering breath. "Can you tell me something else about her? Something you haven't said before."

I felt a strong need to understand him, to grasp where things had gone wrong. Despite hearing his affectionate words about her, the question persisted: Why did he not want to be Lily's daughter's godfather?

"Your mother was there for me at the time when no one else was. Not only was she a singularly gifted witch, but also an uncommonly kind one. She had a way of seeing the beauty in others, even and perhaps most especially when that person could not see it in themselves." He said, his eyes flickering with low spirits.

Abruptly, the classroom door swung open, causing me to instinctively glance over my shoulder, my eye catching his next class entering.

Professor Lupin emerged from behind his desk and quietly walked alongside me towards the back of the classroom.

He spoke with a gentle tone, reminding me. "You can always come to me, you know that. The same goes for Harry. I also hope to see you in the anti-dementor lessons. Even if you just prefer to observe and support your brother, your presence alone will bring positive results, Amelia."

Acknowledging his words with a nod, I then left the classroom, making way for the incoming sixth-year students.

As I stepped outside the classroom, I saw Lyra patiently waiting for me. Her familiar face brought a sense of comfort amidst the uncertainty I had been feeling. I approached her with a smile, grateful for her presence.

"Thanks for waiting," I said, offering a small smile.

"Anytime," Lyra replied, her gaze attentive as she observed me. "Are you okay?"

I let out a soft hum in response, trying to downplay my emotions.

"Are you sure? You haven't seemed okay for a while now." She said with concern, her voice apologetic.

Tears welled up in my eyes once again as I shrugged my shoulders.

"No," I admitted, feeling the weight of my emotions becoming too much to bear alone.