Chapter 52 - A kiss goodbye

"Dude, this guy totally wants to turn me into mostaccioli.."

"Don't you like mostaccioli?"

"That doesn't mean I want to become it!" Zack grumbled.

"Don't worry, I already paid your debt." I chuckled.

I looked over to Leo, and he was staring intently at Daniros pasta sign. I almost forgot Leo was Italian. I wondered if he was judging our city pasta.

"Don't judge it too soon, Daniro makes some mean pasta." I said to Leo.

He looked over to me, then back to the sign. Then he just turned around and started walking down the street.

"Uh, Leo?" 

"I'll see you at the docs." He called out.

I started to walk after him, but Zack quickly grabbed my shoulder.

"I know that look. He needs some time to himself."

I turned back to him, and he was wearing that rare serious look. I took a breath and just nodded. I remember with Lux, I couldn't do anything at the time to help her. Maybe I'll just ask him about it later...

"Right, for now, let's go talk to him. Get our table set. Elizabeth said she'd be here soon."

Zack's hand slid off my arm and he hung his head down. 

"Do I really have to?" He groaned. "The guy looks like an Italian popeye!"

"Is the Mighty destroyer of worlds scared of a guy who makes spaghetti for a living?" 

"Hey! I ain't scared of nobody! You got that shield boy!?" He yelped.

"Oh really? I bet you're scared he'll pummel you if you bring up the past. Bok, bok bok!" 

I gave him a smirk and lifted my arms up, pretending to flap my chicken wings.

He groaned.

"Watch me! I'll go in there and tell him what I did!" 

"BOK!"

Zack growled and finally stormed through the front door. I just chuckled and shook my head. I gotta write the Zack manual one day...

I gave it a little before I followed him inside. When I came in I could hear Mr. Daniro laughing.

"Well as long as you and your friends order a lot. And pay this time around, all is forgiven." He chuckled out. 

I smiled and looked over the two. Mr.Daniros eyes lit up when he saw me. He gave another hardy laugh and turned to face me. 

"Whatever you're doing to him Stryder, keep it up!" 

Zack turned to me and his eyes got wide. I walked over to him and waved my hand away at Zack. 

"I had nothing to do with it. Zack's just been doing a lot of maturing lately." I chuckled as I patted Zack on the back. 

"Well, I'll get the burners going!" He chimed as he walked off from us.

"Let's go pick a tab-"

"You tricked me!" Zack snapped.

I blinked a few times.

"Why whatever do you mean?" I said innocently.

"You baited me with that destroyer of worlds crap!" 

"What, no way. I would never." 

I moved my hand over my chest as if I was offended.

"I'm so proud of you. But I also want to make you step on a lego. I'm so conflicted."