Chapter 13 - The Zombie Effect

The sky was covered in a grey shroud that was obviously a harbinger for the eminent rain to come. How cliche I thought, going to visit a grave on a dark and moody day. I stared into the sky trying to keep my mind clear, I knew if I started thinking about it too much I would get cold feet. I didn't want to run away anymore.

I stopped at the white picket fence staring into the cryptic field of tombs. I looked over at the people scattered about the place. Some were leaving, taking notice of the coming in rain clouds, others had umbrellas and a few didn't even seem to notice the clouds. I stared for a bit at the gate that held the hollow fields. My legs felt like cement, and my heart began to race. I don't have the right to be here...I don't have the-

"She made that choice didn't she!" Zack's words echoed in my mind. She made that choice, right? She made that choice to save my life, I at least owe it to her to visit.

I took a step forward inside, and took a breath. It felt like walking on eggshells. I didn't know why, but I was terrified. I put my hands in my pockets and tried to prevent myself from shaking. I forced myself forward with each step. I stared up at the big oak tree across the way and headed there.

As I walked, I felt the rain start to come down on me. Maybe I should just give up, I mean I could catch a cold if it's raining right? Lux would be mad if I came home soaked, and Dad would beat me if I tracked water in the house.

However, I had walked the whole trek here already without even thinking about it, I guess my legs went on autopilot mode. I was shielded slightly by the big oak leaves from the relentless attack from the clouds above. I stared at the gravestone blankly for a bit, like I was looking at a stranger. I hadn't been back here in years, I didn't know what to say. My legs began to feel like jello and I fell to my knees.

"Mom.." I shuttered out.

I took out my mask slowly and set it on the gravestone.

"Hey, It's been a long time hasn't it?" I choked the words out of my mouth like I was being strangled.

I tried to force a small smile on my face, attempting to ease the moment, but it wasn't working. I took a deep breath and started telling her about my day. I told her about Zack and Alexis, I told her about my powers and the fight with the gang leader. I told her about the fight Dad and Lux had.

It's been forever since I visited her tombstone. I would always walk up to the gate, but never enter. I didn't feel worthy enough to step foot in here. But I felt so much lighter the longer I talked, I even forgot about the rain that piled on to me. It was like she was right there with me. Her warm and charismatic smile, shielding me from the rain like she used to do.

"Mom, I remember the nights when you would read to me. You read me that story about the knight who killed that dragon and saved the princess and the whole kingdom. I thought he was the coolest when I was younger. I wanted to be just like him when I grew up. And I finally have that chance to be a real hero like him. But. But!" I yelled but repeatedly to the gravestone.

I was crying and ripping the grass out the ground around me in frustration, trying to get the words out. It was like that strangling feeling had come back with full force. I felt this pain in my stomach, as if someone was twisting a knife into me.

I even began to feel the rain now. Like it was holding me down on my knees. That warm cheerful feeling I had of my past wisped away like smoke. I couldn't stop staring at her lifeline. I had the image of her falling to the ground replaying in my head over and over again. I felt like I was gonna throw up. I couldn't take it anymore, I was falling back into the loop of her death all over again.

Then like the sun breaking through the clouds I felt a gentle hand touch my shoulder. I couldn't move. I felt the presence of someone kneeling down beside me with a warming touch.

"Go, be the hero I know you can be." A soft nostalgic voice whispered to me.