Chapter 38 - Reaching Nirvana

"Jack come on! They were supposed to tell me the information because I won. Let's go back and have dinner."

"I bet you just want to go flirt with that Australian chick." Jack sighed.

"W-what! No that's not it!" I stammered back.

"What, do you think she's ugly?" Zack asked as we walked.

The ever growing sound of club music only got louder and louder. It was like a rockier version of lofi. I couldn't really put my finger on it, the music was just so out there. Jack had teleported us to this rocky island. He said he couldn't teleport us directly to the party because of rules or something.

I blushed.

"No that's not it! I just want to focus on the mission alright? I even missed out on talking to Isabella."

Zack whistled.

"Geez Stry, Isn't she like, spoken for?"

"That's not what I meant! She knows the other swordsman well. I need to get more information so I can prepare myself."

"Are you always this serious? Your hairs gonna start looking like mine if you don't relax." Jack joked.

"Why did you bring me with you.." Leo grumbled from behind me.

"Cuz you and the Knight both need to loosen up. When's the last time you've been to a party?"

"Never," Leo replied

"Pfft, Stryder and parties? Yeah right." Zack snickered.

"I've been to parties!"

"A girls night with Lux and her friends doesn't count Einstein," Zack chuckled.

Then Jack abruptly stopped and turned back to look at me with shock.

"Have you seriously never been to a party before!?"

"I've just never had the time.." I muttered.

"Please, he just freezes up in any group event we go to. We once went to a friends barbeque and he hid in the corner the whole time."

"That's because I didn't know anyone!"

"Considering I'm your only friend, you'll never know anyone."

I quickly looked away from them. That stung a lot more than I expected it too.

"Listen kid, how are you gonna be an example to the world if you can't talk to a few strangers?" Jack asked.

And I suddenly dislike myself even more. Great. You know what, no. I'm not taking this.

"It's not like I asked for this ya know!" I snapped. " It's not like I asked to shake whenever someone I don't know talks to me! It's not like I want to overthink whatever someone thinks about me!"

"Easy Stryder no ones-"

"No! I'm sick and tired of people like you who have it so easy with your communication skills. Acting as if it's so easy! You have no idea how hard it is!"

"Well what are you gonna do about it?" Jack asked.

"What?"

"You don't like it right? Well what are you gonna do about it?"

"Well I.." I trailed off as my embers of rage, slowly began to flicker away.

I didn't know what to say to that.

"I won't deny that it's harder for you to be social. Icarus was the same way. But don't whine about it unless you're trying to change."

"That's easier said than done.."