Chapter 51 - The winds of change

"That was rather entertaining my Knight. I hope you prepare for the trials ahead. Because I'll be sending a storm your way. Trials much more powerful than the white dragon." I heard my goddess whisper into my ear.

I felt this warmth rise in my chest. It was relieving to feel something. After feeling like I was floating in this endless sea of darkness. Suddenly a blue light shined in the void. And that warmth I felt spread all over my body. Then the area around me was consumed by the azure gleam, and then. I could see the underside of a bed?

I groaned, even after coming back to life my body still ached.

"Ah come on! That's so cheap!" I heard Zack groan.

I slowly sat up and rubbed the back of my head. My body still felt a bit cold, but I was getting warmth back in my hands again. I looked around, and I could see I was in my room. I blinked a few times. I was laying back on a folded-down futon. Above me was the top part of a bunk bed.

"Games are just simple strategy and reaction time. No different from a real fight." I heard Leo retort from above.

"Says the guy who ran off the map a hundred times!"

"And now that same guy is kicking your butt. Wonder what that says about you?"

I looked over, and I could see a big flat screen T.V. . And behind it was a huge window that was overlooking the city. My eyes then panned over to Zack, who was sitting in a fancy looking wheely chair. He looked rather agitated. I looked over to the screen again, and I could see they were playing smash bros. I never played it before, but I watched Zack play it at some tournaments he went to at our school.

"Shut up! This is my first time playing in months!"

"And I've never played a game before."

"Could you be a little quieter?" I yawned out.

"Shut it loser!" zack yelped.

I groaned.

"Aren't you the one being beat by a guy who has never seen a controller before?"

"No years of experience can make up for that neanderthal brain of his," Leo sighed.

I chuckled.

"To think I came here out of goodwill for you, and you wake up roasting me!"

"I would've been better off waking up to peace and quiet. Not yelling and salt," I yawned.

I heard some movement from up above. Then I saw Leo drop down from atop the bed. He stood in front of me in shorts and a white T-shirt. He kind of looked like a normal kid now.

"Stryder, is this the right bed?" Leo asked.

I blinked a couple of times and looked over my bed. Yeah, this was the couch bunk bed I wanted.

"Well yeah, I'm not used to sleeping in beds. Couches are just more comfortable for me."

"But why not just get a couch?"

"It was for you." I yawned out.

"F-for me? Why?"

"Well, you said you wanted to stay right? I figured it would be best if you stayed somewhere comfortable."

"Told ya lizard breath!" Zack chuckled.

Leo squinted his eyes at me. It was like he wanted to argue, but he didn't say a thing.

"Thank you," Leo mumbled out.

I gave him a smile and nodded.

"Of course, by the way. Where is everyone else at?" I asked.