Chapter 40 - Looking ahead

No, not again. Not again! I need to do something! I need to move! But I couldn't, no matter how hard I tried. It was useless. As I was about to give in, I saw a white blur appear in front of me, followed by a chill that ran down my spine. Jack stood in front of me, holding my dad's wrist in his hand.

I looked over, and I could see ice freezing Zeke and Lux's feet to the ground. No way, he managed to stop everything.

"Look, let's all calm down. Like I said, I'm the one who broke your fridge."Jack said firmly as he stared intently into my father's eyes.

I could see my dad hesitate as he opened his mouth. Like his words were stolen right from his lips. There was silence for a moment, then my dad snatched his hand away from Jack.

"Is that so?" He grumbled.

"Yeah, I'll replace the fridge, the beer, and all the food." Jack went into his pocket and quickly pulled out a thick stack of cash. "For now, compensation for the trouble."

My dad eyed the money a bit before he snatched it from him. Jack took a step back and folded his arms. My dad quickly looked over the bills, creating another moment of silence. He looked Jack up and down after he finished.

"I guess this will do, now leave." My dad huffed." I got work in the morning."

He quickly turned from Jack and trudged off to his room.

"You little-" Zack growled as he whipped around toward my dad.

But Jack teleported right next to him. I hadn't noticed till now, but there was ice scattered all over the floor. That explains his moves just now. Jack quickly putting a hand over his mouth as my dad slammed the door shut.

"Let me go ya snowcone I'm gonna blast that piece of crap!" Zeke growled.

"And what exactly are you gonna accomplish by doing that?" Jack asked. "Let's all just calm down."

"Jack, I'm sorry. I-I froze up there.." I muttered out.

My body was still shaking as I rose. Even with him gone, it still feels like his gaze was on me. I looked to the floor and rubbed my arm. I wanted to calm down, I wanted to relax. Damnit! Why can't I calm down! I felt my whole body quake as I felt a hand gently rest on my head.

"What are you talking about! You were totally brave out there!" Jack chuckled.

I slowly looked up, and I could see Jack's goofy grin smiling down on me. He ruffled my hair a bit and pulled away. I was at a complete loss for words. Brave? How could he call me brave?

"I'll have that fridge for you tomorrow. For now, I think we should listen to the old man and scatter."

Zack just grumbled.

"Right, let's leave then." Leo sighed as he walked to the door.

I looked up for a moment, and I watched everyone get up and walked to the door. Zack was still grumbling, but Jack just put him in a headlock and dragged him to the door.

"roigh', waell say yah on the mohraow than." Elizabeth hummed as she waved bye to me.

I hesitantly looked up at her and waved back. This was embarrassing. All of this was embarrassing. I wanted to hide away in my hood, I wanted to just disappear. I looked over at Jack again. He managed to take control of the entire situation and put everyone at ease. Even if I don't believe I am. I felt so much better after he told me I was brave. He was just like Zack.

I see, I still have a long way to go. If I'm gonna catch up to either of them.

I felt a hand rest on my shoulder. I turned around and I saw Lux, with a rather defeated look on her face.