Chapter 75 - Princess Annual

Don't tell Zack? Why didn't she want me to tell Zack? Then again, I had about a thousand reasons to not invite Zack to pretty much anything. So I suppose it technically didn't have to be special. Not to mention they've been together almost every day. Maybe she just wanted a break. Or maybe she's got some serious news she wanted to tell me.

At first, I thought the flickering embers were just the sparks of passing fireflies. However, the closer I got, the more dazzling the flames became. I moved my hand back to Ascalon. Was that Annual? Or was that someone else? My walk started to turn to a jog, then my jog turned into a full-on sprint.

Was this all just a trap!? Is it the person who turned off the electricity!? That would explain why Zack couldn't come. I drew my sword, and once I was close enough I leaped into the fire. I summoned flame-resistant armor over me and landed in the middle of the ring of fire.

However, when I looked around, I noticed that the trees weren't engulfed in flames. They just had little lanterns attached to their branches. I immediately scanned around for my enemy and readied my blade. Only to stop as I spotted Annual, who looked like she was gonna piss her pants. She was wearing a red floral dress. Her hair was curled and her caramel-like skin seemed to shine against the light of the lanterns.

"Annual?" I asked and dispelled the armor.

"H-hey." She stammered out with a nervous smile.

Maybe there isn't anything going on. Maybe she just wanted to surprise me. Huh, maybe everyone isn't out to kill me.

"Sorry, I saw these lights and.."

She chuckled and shook her head.

"You're just proving my hypothesis."

She ran over to one of the trees and grabbed a basket that laid next to it. I took my sheath from off my back and sheathed my sword back into it.

"And what might that be?" I asked.

"You are just as stressed out as Zack and need your future wife's love, care, and affection."

I chuckled.

"I'm fine, really."

"Oh? So did you or did you not just leap into a potential fire with your sword drawn and ready?" She asked as he started walking back toward me.

I nervously looked away from her.

"In my defense, this was sketchy," I mumbled and turned back to face her.

"Yeah, normally people investigate, not attack the non-living fire."

She stopped in front of me and held out a basket. Inside was a bottle of lemonade, four plastic-wrapped brownies, and a bag of Swedish fish. All of my favorites.

"Brownies are still your favorite dessert right?" She asked.

"Y-yeah." I was speechless, she had all my favorites. She even remembered my favorite cheap snacks. What was this for? Maybe something happened. "Annual, is something the matter? Is everything with Zack okay?"

"What matters is that you haven't said thank you, or complimented my dress!" She huffed.

"O-oh right! Thank you!"

She started to sway her hips, and let her dress dance. The heat rose to my cheeks as I watched her a bit too closely. I saw her smirk, and I immediately turned away.

"You do look really good in that," I mumbled.

She snickered.

"That's better."