Chapter 48 - Looking up

"This is kinda sus, and why do I gotta be sus with Stryder." Zack whined.

He leaned back in his chair and held out the yin half of the necklace. He turned it over in his hands with a disgusted look.

“Come on Zack be nice. Annual put a lot of thought into this.” I grumbled. 

“Zack please, I just want you both to have something. Something that reminds you both of each other.” She mumbled as she looked down into her lap. “I just think you two can do anything together. I wanted something to remind you both of that.”

Zack’s eyes grew wide as he looked over to her. He lowered the necklace and leaned over to her, resting his hand on her head. He smiled and ruffled her hair.

“Don’t go pretending like we're not a trio here. We gotta Annual this up a bit. Cuz the last thing I want to think about is shield boy over here everytime I look at this.”

“I can agree, I know I said the cord is enough to remind us of you. But maybe we can add another small charm to this or something?” I suggested.

Annual slowly looked up, her bold green eyes stared at Zack in a bit of awe. 

“Come on, let's go buy some charm bracelets with some flowers on them. I’m sure we can rip those off and addem on to it.”

“Not a bad idea.” I hummed.

I lifted my burger up and took a bite. Watching the wholesome family moment. Zack really had been maturing lately. And from the look in Annuals eyes, I’m sure she could notice.

“Or maybe I should go buy a Gnome charm?” Zack snickered.

“Or maybe I should have gotten Stryder a trash can to remember you by.” She hummed sweetly.

And there it goes...

“Spoken like a true Gnome.”

“Says the guy with goblin breath.” 

“Says the Hippie who has lettuce stuck in her yellow teeth.”

“You shih tzu haired Gremlin!”

“You flower snorting Gnome!”

And just like that, those two were yelling at each other again,  in the middle of the food court. I slowly slumped down into my seat as all eyes quickly turned over to us. Great..

“Stryder you don’t have to do this, I can talk to him ya know?” Lux whispered.

“No, Lux this is, this is something I have to do.” 

I turned to her and gave her a smile. I held out the keys to her and she hesitantly took them from me. 

“Just go to the new place with Zack and Annual. I’ll catch up with you later. Besides I left Zack alone in my new room. I rather him not prank me.” I chuckled.

“Stryder, I’m serious,” She huffed.

“And so am I. I don’t want to be scared of him my whole life. So I’m gonna face him now.”

She moved a hand on my shoulder and looked me in the eyes. I could see the worry that resided in her deep blue eyes. But, I just returned her worried look with a smile. I moved my hand over hers. My heart was racing, and my hands were trembling. And I was sure she could tell how scared I really was.

“Hey Lux, I think I got a little taller.” I hummed.

Her eyes got a bit wide, she opened her mouth like she was gonna say something. But all she did was stare at me. Soon morphing her lips into a smile.