Chapter 78 - Territory wars and enchiladas!

"Wow! That was some crazy magica!"

The magician squealed in delight.

"H-how did I lose so fast..." The swordsman mumbled.

"What is it you want? And what did you do to our city?" I demanded.

"Oooh! Ooh! I know! I know!" The magician cheered. "I asked the big assistant ladies to send them away!"

"The what?"

"He's talking about the curators of the game. Those twelve beings." The swordsman mumbled. "And the plan was to make you forfeit your territory."

"Bring them back," I demanded.

"Sure!" The magician cheered.

He pushed my blade aside like it was a toy, then clapped his hands together. A blaring green light erupted from his palms, sending an emerald shock wave out that grazed over us all.

"MAGICA!!"

Zack blinked a few times and started patting his body, guessing the shock wave spooked him. Leo didn't seem to be too concerned and just trudged over to the pair.

"Hey! wanna see a trick!?" The kid cheered and ran over to Leo.

Seeing them together, they both looked about the same age. Even though Leo had the mean mug of an eighty-year-old.

"No," Leo said flatly and tried to walk past him.

"Hey, midget! How did you get my police record!" Zack roared.

The magician giggled. "A great magician never tells his secrets!"

"He thanked his supposed assistant earlier for it." Leo glared over at her. "I bet she hacked the police department and printed out a copy for herself."

The girl's eyes grew wide, and her cheeks tinted a faint red color. She immediately turned away and hid her face.

What was that about...wait, Leo did say he noticed cameras all turning to look at him when he walked. Did she have a crush on him? Wait no, I need to focus.

"Explain this territory thing," I asked.

"What? Do you really not know?" She squeaked.

"He doesn't like phones!" Zack spoke up.

"Well, you're one of the small territories. You haven't gotten eaten by Rex or Gilda yet."

There goes that name again, Gilda. That's the one Leo said could kill Jormungand.

"So, what? Did you want to take our small area and try to fight for territory?" I asked.

"Something like that Yeah..." She mumbled.

"So tell me, did you really help Jormungand then? It doesn't sound like you wanted him to really get this land either."

"My objective wasn't to obtain territory till Jormungand fell. There's a power vacuum now that needs to be filled. I planned to build up my information till I had a clear plan, but that idiot over there ruined it!" She grumbled.

We turned to the magician, who was now pulling meatball subs out of his hat. While Zack happily stuffed his face.

"What's your name?" I demanded.

"P-Penelope!"

"Penelope, my friends died in the Jormungand event." I grabbed her shoulder and made her look at me.

Her sapphire eyes grew wide, but she immediately looked away. Not saying a word.

"Another friend of mine is in the hospital because she was beaten to a bloody pulp by one of his minions."