Chapter 59 - The Azure flames

"Icarus, what are you saying!? What's going on!?"

I felt my heart start to race as everything fell silent. The only thing I took in was the soft buzzing on the other end.

"Relax, it's just a theory on loose evidence. However I wouldn't feel comfortable not mentioning it to you."

"Well tell me, what's got you concerned."

"Well for one, the specific prison that was disturb was the most placid of the bunch. Meaning it had no real issues. Yet it suddenly sparked a rebellion out of thin air."

"That doesn't necessarily mean anything. ."

"It doesn't, however its specific location happens to be the only one near you. Which normally isn't guarded as heavily because of its lack of action. But Jack happened to be in your area, so he was the only one able to support."

"Are you implying this was an attempt to lure Jack in?"

"I wasn't finished yet. I checked all the records and it just so happens that three of those prisoners are said to have prior connections to Jormungand."

"What's Jormungand?"

"To put it simply, they're a terrorist group. But what may interest you about them is their leader. Supposedly the leader is the father of Firebreather Leo."

My eyes widened.

"Do you think he's after Leo!?"

"I've heard rumors only another dragon can defeat him, and those rumors have substantial evidence. So it's probable he plotted all this in order to take, or kill his son."

"Are you certain of this?"

"No, not at all. To be blunt, the security was lax at this location. The reality of it being just a carefully planned rebellion, that had the unfortunate luck of having Jack nearby is extremely plausible. In matter of fact it's rather likely that's all it is. But I didn't feel right if I didn't say something. It would be the perfect opportunity, this is the first time Leo has stopped moving."

"Wait, how do you know that?"

"There are eyes everywhere Stryder."

Before I could say anything else he hung up. I listened to the silence for a moment, half expecting to hear something to be said. But that moment never came.

My arms dropped and I let everything sink in. Leo's father could be after him. However, this could legitimately mean nothing. I squeezed my phone tighter as my mind raced. What's the best option? What should I do?

Should we bunker up and hide? Or would that alert him that we know? Wait, if this is nothing then what's the point? I'll ruin Leo's entire chance to be a normal kid. But is it worth the risk? And he said eyes are everywhere, what does that mean? Is someone spying on us!? Was the information just fed to him from Jack? No, he wouldn't have said it like that if he did, wait would he? I have no idea what Icarus is like. Maybe he just wanted me to be more careful, or is that something he would even do?

"Stryder!" Valentina's voice boomed through the halls. I jumped and slowly turned back to her. She was glaring at me. "Tell me what's going on, who was that? And why does it look like you're freaking out?"

I took a deep breath and tried to relax my body.

"To make a long story short. I just got some information that might be concerning or nothing. I'll talk to you more about it later. Right now I need to talk to Zack."

I quickly turned and ran back toward the dance.

"H-hey wait!" Val called out, but I just kept forward.