Chapter 56 - The knight in the tower

"Do I really need to go shopping again? Homecomings not that big a deal."

"I was instructed by ma’lady to make sure you wear something fancier than a hoodie." Jack hummed as we perused the aisles of monkey suits.

"It's just one stupid dance." I huffed.

He stopped and picked up a small white button-up, and a black vest. I cringed looking at it, that looked so constricting…

“Hey, it’s a good excuse to pull a hot girl close.” He snickered and held out the shirt toward me. “Yeah, get you a blue tie and a black jacket. You’ll knock them dead.”

“Geez, this makes me wonder what Zack's gonna wear."

"I heard from Annual he was trying to buy some satin robes and a crown."

"Of course he is.."

"By the way,  you two kiss and make up already?"

He tossed the vest and button up to me and continued to look around. 

"You could say that yeah, thanks again for leaving us there. That was just what we needed."

"I am psychic after all." He teased as he grabbed a jacket.

"Yeah, right. How could I forget the frozen telepathy trick."

"It's all in the ice cubes I put in your drinks."

I paused for a moment. Was, was he being serious!?

"Y-your joking, right?" I asked hesitantly.

He just smirked and moved the jacket over his shoulders. Then proceeded to walk off.

"Jack...Jack!"

"Are you sure we have time for this?"

"Stryder, do you know what fun is? Or did you crap it out this morning?" Jack huffed as he continued to type his name out.

Jack thought it would be a grand idea to ask some random group of people if we could join their game of laser tag. And I had a mini heart attack as he introduced me. I unconsciously moved my hood over my head and tried to not make eye contact. It had been a while since I met new people without Zack around, or without my mask. I forgot how nerve-racking meeting new people was. To make matters worse, Jack deliberately put us on separate teams. I was on the blue team, and he was on the red. 

Before we got to go inside, we had to type out a name we wanted to use at the front desk.

I crept up behind Jack and looked over his shoulder. I was curious what name he was gonna use. And then I almost forgot I wasn’t with Zack. His name was 'Your mom'. Of course, it was your mom.

Jack moved out of line and went to join his team. But before he walked inside, he turned back to me and winked.

"Good luck! And by the way, I plan on using my gifts in there!" He cheered right before he shut the door.

He's going to what!? Is he psychotic!?

"Come on kid, put your name down!" A guy from my team called out from behind.

"R-right!" I replied as I quickly stepped forward to the computer. 

Name, what name should I use…?

….

"The knight huh? You a fan of the Alley of justice?" 

I jumped as I heard one of the guys on my team speak up. Crap! I knew making my name the Knight was stupid! What's wrong with me!? I couldn't think of anything else, I just panicked and put it down.