Chapter- 19 The fall of Icarus

"I think I've heard of this Whirlwind guy before," Lux called out from under her bed.

She was shuffling around looking for her laptop. I don't own anything that could give me the means to research this whirlwind. Plus Lux really wanted to be a help to us. She hasn't really had the opportunity to.

"Do we even have Wi-Fi here?" I asked skeptically as she slowly got up from under her bed. She held up her hot pink laptop with a very proud smile on her face.

"Nope! Which is why we're heading to the library." She chimed happily as she set her laptop down on her bed.

I was a bit surprised to see her with such a girly colored laptop. I figured she would have a black or dark blue one. As I was looking it over, I noticed the many stickers on it. She had skulls, fireballs, and a small Michael Myers chibi sticker on there. And suddenly her laptop fit her perfectly.

"Don't judge my pink! I won that in a stupid writing contest. You know how society is, girls get pink and rainbows and boys get blue and footballs." She groaned as she grabbed a pair of dirty socks off the floor, and began to slip them on.

She was in dark blue denim shorts with a light blue T-shirt. She didn't bother fixing her hair yet, and I figured she wouldn't. I stared a bit at her as she finished putting on her shoes. It was astonishing how much she resembled mom. The way she dressed, her face, her eyes. It was a little haunting.

"Yes, yes I know. Wearing dirty clothes and keeping my hair a mess is very unladylike of me. But we shouldn't be out too long." She responded without even looking over at me.

"I wasn't gonna say anything. I was just thinking that... You look a lot like her. Mom I mean." I spoke a bit softly with a small smile on my face. I looked over at Lux, who was blushing some.

"Y-you really think so?" She asked as she looked down to her feet.

"Yeah. Right down to wearing old clothes she hadn't washed in a week." I replied with a chuckle.

"Like mother, like daughter I suppose." She whispered.

She was smiling down at her shoes as she seemed to be thinking about something. It was rare for us to bring up mom in conversation. I was always afraid to. I could feel my heart begin to race, I moved my hand up to my mouth and went to bite on my nails. But I had nothing left to bite. Which immediately led to me tapping my foot. But just as I did, I felt Lux move her hand on my shoulder.

"Come on! Let's go!" She cheered as she gave me a warm smile.

I felt the pit that was beginning to form in my stomach slowly fade away. I gave a smile back to her and nodded. She went to grab her laptop and then we headed out.

As we got to the library we headed to the very back to get some privacy. We found a desk back there and set up. There was this sort of awkward silence between us for a bit. That was until Lux spoke up.

"You know, you don't have to get all nervous when we talk about mom." She said softly as she kept her eyes on the screen.

"I-I know, I wasn't nerv-"

"Stryder don't even. I know you better than anyone, I can tell when you're anxious." She fired back immediately in her stern mother tone.

Which kept me quiet for a bit.

"I'm sorry," I said eventually.

"Good." She chimed happily.

"I just, I can't help but feel like that. It was my fault that it happened." I whispered to myself.

"Stryder, you can't keep beating yourself up over that." She replied with a softer tone.

She looked away from the screen and over to me. She kept her eyes fixated on mine with a sympathetic look. But that look just felt like a lie.