Chapter 99 - You'll be greater than me

A crimson rain fell down upon me, gently painting my cheeks red with an icy stain. If it wasn't for that, I'm sure I'd think I was dreaming. My eyes froze on the river of blood that poured out from his back, and for a moment, I saw my mom. The gaping hole with a river of blood, was now small with a leaking trail. No, it happened again...

"Jack!" I cried.

Jack coughed and dropped to his knees. His hand covered his wound and immediately froze it. Right! It'll be okay! He's just gonna heal himself!

"Jack! What are you doing here!? Why did you-!"

Zack choked on his words as Jack fully stood up. I noticed however, that the blood was still seeping from the ice. My heart started to bash against my chest, and the air began to thin. Zack staggered back as Jack stepped forward. He limped as he walked but his steps didn't falter. Soon he towered over Zack, who slowly lowered his head to the floor.

"Zack." Jack grunted out with a heavy breath, which made Zack shutter.

Jack stepped closer and moved his hand around Zack's head. He jumped, but Jack just rested his hand on the back of his head. Then pulled Zack in and rested his head against his.

"Don't forget everything you worked for. No matter what happens, I still believe you can become the man you want to be." Jack said between rough breaths.

"J-jack, this, this, it wasn't supposed to happen like this!" Zack stuttered. "Let's go get you help!"

Zack finally looked up and I saw tears brimming from his eyes. Jack took a step back and tripped over his foot. I ran up and caught him in my arms. I noticed the wound was still leaking, it even made a puddle on the floor. He laid against me and started to cough, staining the floor with more specks of blood.

No! No! No! No! I looked over to his face, and the color in his eyes seemed faded.

"I'm taking you to the hospital." I said and picked him up princess style.

"No, you've got all sorts of blood on you. Go to the hospital and you're dead." Jack complained.

However, I was already running. There was no way! I'm not gonna let him die! This time is gonna be different! I will save him! Jack deserves to live! Then, out of nowhere a huge funnel of water crashed into me and sent me flying. My body smacked into the side of a machine and all the air got knocked out of me. Then it was like I was moving in quicksand. Every motion, every step. I could barely stand.

No! No! No!

I looked around and found Jack lying in a puddle, and I tried to run to him. But I slipped and fell face first into the puddle. I sat up, and forced my body over to him. That's when I saw Zack run at me with a pipe in hand. I panicked, but he just ran past me. He ran up to the woman who bashed me and bashed her head in with the pipe.

"Go!" He demanded.

"Hey kid, the lights are going out. Before they do, just remember. You're Stryder first, not a hero first. Make sure to remind Icarus too." He chuckled. "Don't forget to enjoy the little things and small victories.."

"Shut up! You're not dying, you hear me!" I yelled and grabbed his arm.

I took a breath and hoisted him over my shoulder. With all my might, I trudged forward. I started to walk, and my walking turned to a jog. For some reason, Jack was getting lighter and lighter. I turned back, and I forgot how to breathe. His arm! HIs arm was gone! I tried to run faster, but slipped and fell face first into a puddle. I turned over and looked at Jack, and tears just poured from me. His body was slowly being consumed by azure flames. HIs arm was gone, and I watched as piece by piece his shoulder faded. The ashes from the flames flying to the skies like fireflies in the night.