Chapter 11 - The Princess of the flowers

We started to remember our way around, following familiar trails in the forest. Once we had our bearings back, we started heading to Zack's place. As we made our way, I started picking all sorts of different flowers. I stared at them, trying to focus on the colors and ignore the itching thoughts in the back of my mind. But they just kept scratching.

I wondered if I really should be seeing her. Did I have the right to just show back up in her life like this? I looked over at Zack, who still had a huge grin on his face as he walked, there was no turning back I guess. Maybe, this was something I needed to do.

Eventually, we found our way out of the woods and back to the city, and from there to Zack's place. The rest of the walk was relatively quiet, Zack had an oddly peaceful look on his face the whole time. However, I couldn't keep myself still. By the time we found our way back to the city, I had bitten off all the nails on my fingers.

When Zack's apartment building came into sight, my heart began to race more and more. I took a deep breath as we stopped at his door. I stared at the cream-colored walls and scratched-up door of his little apartment building. It looked exactly the same as the last time I was here. Zack knelt down and grabbed his key from under his mat, then he opened the door. I followed behind him as he stepped inside.

There was trash all over the place, food, drinks, and clothes. It looked like the remains of a college frat party. Zack walked straight through the sea of trash down the hall. I followed further behind him as he walked. I stared down the hall knowing exactly which room was hers. I felt my heart racing more intensely as I stared down the hall at the door. I was really back. I was really going to see her again after all this time. I noticed the halls down to her room and Zack's were the only ones untouched by the storm of trash. Zack stopped at her door, bearing a huge smile on his face as he swung it open so hard it crashed against the wall.

"Guess who I brought Sis!" Zack screamed as he leaped into her room.

I jumped a little realizing that was my cue to go. I jogged down the hall and jumped into the room. Then there she was. Sitting up on her bed with wonder in her eyes.

"Stryder!" She cheered weakly for me.

I was speechless at first. She looked exactly like how I remembered her. Her long and tangled brown hair looked like it hadn't been brushed in ages. She still had that sincere and hopeful smile on her face, and her bold green eyes that reminded me of gemstones. But she looked so pale and weak, like she could shatter from a single touch. It made my chest hurt looking at her like this, but I kept my composure. This was the first time in years since I've seen her, it didn't need to be with me crying.

"Hey Annual, long time no see." I replied to her in a soft tone, giving her a big smile.

"My knight has finally returned to me," she proclaimed softly as she laid back down.

I walked over to her and laid the flowers down next to her on the bed. Her expression seemed even more excited at the sight of them. Like a kid in a candy store.

"My hero." Her voice seemed too soft now, almost inaudible.

"I'm no hero, princess Annual," I replied, as I gave her a somber look.

She lifted up the flowers and smelled them with a satisfied smile. I had this feeling of guilt washing over me. I had been avoiding her for so long, and all she wanted was to see me. I was a horrible person. She looks so happy just having me around like this. I should've visited much sooner.

"Mmm, Stryder these must be the blue Hyacinthus flower, they kinda remind me of you. It's a good representation." She hummed, however, she wasn't looking at me. She was fully engrossed in the flowers.

"Thank you, it's my favorite color too," I replied.

I kneeled down next to her bed, taking in her smile that stretched ear to ear.

It felt so refreshing seeing her again, smiling just like she used to.

"I want these flowers at our wedding night," she whispered.