Chapter 106 - Balance

My eyes were frozen on the patch that was attached to Donums left eye. She didn't seem bothered by it, like she'd already grown used to having one eye. She leaned over from her hospital bed and laced her boots, a stern look on her face.

"So, graduation is due date huh?" Donum asked.

"Yeah, do you think we can get an evacuation cleared?" I asked.

"Realistically? It's not likely to pass. And if it does, it won't be immediate."

"Why's that?"

"Well the state is still not convinced superheroes fully exist. I could lie and say there's a bomb threat, but that comes with it's own sets of issues. However, it may just be our best bet."

"What if, what if I make an evacuation video? As the Knight? Do you think our city would listen?"

Donum sighed and stood up straight.

"It's possible, however, some of my team explicitly hate you. So it may be taken in a bad way. They may even go in after you and say it was a prank."

"So no matter what happens we run into possible issues!? The state shouldn't be this rigid to helping people."

"Sorry kid, but the world doesn't work off hopes and beautiful speeches. It works off money and document's."

I grumbled.

"So the bomb threat? Is that our best move?"

"Probably yeah, but do you know how many bomb threats they get? They would need some kind of evidence to assume it's real. Then we run into the problem of them issuing a bomb squad..."

"I'll have Penelope make a fake bomb or something. You can get pictures and the worst case scenario is we protect the bomb squad. We can even have them stationed in an area of our choosing that way."

She nodded.

"Another issue is the people who resist leaving."

"What? You can't just force them to leave?"

"Legally no, kids yes, but other people of the town. Not so much. They have to choose to leave. Especially lately, they've become more lax and lean on you. Last time we tried to evacuate a block they said the Alley of Justice will just come. Which, granted, you did. But it'll be difficult for us."

I leaned back against the wall and tried to wrap my head around it. This was the best option, but still. I couldn't guarantee everyone's safety. The door to her room opened up and a nurse came in.

"Miss Breach, are you all ready to go?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm ready." Donum replied and held out her bag of stuff to me.

"Great! Thank you for coming to assist her Mr.Beowulf." The nurse hummed and went back out.

"Well, let's get you home." I said and we headed out.

...

Penelope set more meat down on the grill and slowly turned it over. The bustling crowd of the Korean barbecue honestly calmed my nerves a bit.

"So, we need to make a fake bomb/ safe zone area?" Leo asked.

He reached over to the grill and grabbed a piece of still cooking meat with his bare hands. Then tossed it into his mouth.

"Yeah, that's the plan right now anyways." I sighed and ran my chopsticks over my bowl of rice. "But I still need to find a way to make everyone leave..."