Chapter 46 - The petals in the wind

A hero, she really said I was her hero. All this time, all this fighting. Did I really? Did I really change someone? Have I really been growing? Elizabeth, Leo, they really changed because of me.

Elizabeth's eyes grew wide as she stared into mine. I could see the gentle splashes from my tears landing on her cheek. Oh no I'm crying. Stop, You're supposed to be better than this. I chuckled and started wiping my eyes.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cry," I said between chuckles.

"What's wrawng?" She murmured out.

"It's just, my whole life."

"He's destined to ruin lives. He's nothing but dead weight." My father's voice echoed in my head.

"I hated you for leaving Annual." Then Zack's

"I felt like mom loved him more than me. They were always together. I just wanted him to disappear, to suffer." Then Lux's.

"I'm just so blessed. Thank you for telling me your story. You have no idea what it means to me."

For once, it felt real. Everything for once felt like it was finally moving! I wasn't stuck fighting to prove myself. I wasn't cursed! I wasn't stuck to always ruining peoples lives. People believed in me. Learned from me. The tears kept rolling out. And I felt Elizabeth slowly embrace me. She didn't say a word. She just held onto me.

For the first time in my life, I didn't feel like a burden. I can do this. I can be a hero!

After a bit of me crying, we eventually got up. Elizabeth was busy away at remaking her ship. So I sat back and recovered while she worked. As I watched her work, I tried to think of what I could've done better moving forward. If she hadn't run in at me, I would've depleted all of my energy. As I was thinking. A realization came into my mind.

"Hey Liz, did any of your undead have powers?" I was so focused on fighting, I wasn't even paying attention.

"Hmm? Waell Oy diied, buh' Weis buhnt thaem t' creesp." She huffed.

I watched as she held her sword up, and I felt the ship slowly lift itself up into the air. I quickly looked around and noticed the beams of wood that were scattered on the ground all started to glow with a bright turquoise mist. Then one by one they floated up to the frame of the ship. I stared at the wood in awe, still finding myself in shock over these gifts...

"Burnt them huh? So I really was lucky then." I mumbled.

I can't imagine what I would've done if I had three or four different gifted here. Not to mention the flex that Weislung managed to beat all of them! That's literally insane! I had trouble just handling her basic undead army.

"Hey what happened to those bodies then? Are they gone for good?" I asked.

"Nao, Oy cahn regeneryte thaem at some point. Ih''ll just tyke some toime."

I bit my lip as she said that. I was starting to remember what started our whole cry fest in the first place. Those dead bodies, they were people just like us. I wonder how the Goddesses handle this if they're still technically alive? I wonder if they're conscious of this, or if it's all like some dream.

"Lizbeth, you should let them go to rest," I commented as I stood up to face her.

"W-whaht!? buh' thaht's moy trump cahd!"

"Yeah, and you said you wanted to be different right? The first step to change is atoning for the things you did. It's not right to keep them like that. Let the ones you cut down rest."