Chapter 103 - The sun is shining

-three days after the Mors game ended-

The sun began to rise and illuminated the burnt remains of the Grendall home. It's soft red hue consumed every inch of the home, bringing it's destruction back to life. I looked up at the rising sun, and it almost felt like a mistake. The sun will keep rising, the world will keep spinning. Yet Annual isn't here to see it, Jack isn't here to see it. Everything will just keep moving forward without them. That's so unfair.

My eye traced over police crossing tape that stood between me and the debris. Donum said Annual's body wasn't even recovered from here. That means this isn't even her grave. I sat down in front of the house and just stared over it.

"Annual, I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you. I wish I could've done more, I wish it was me and not you. I loved you, and I'm sorry I never got those words out. You deserved better than me."

I hiked up my knees and buried my face in them. 

"I'm sorry I wasn't enough, you deserve to be happy. This isn't fair to you. I want to make it right! I want to make it make sense! I'm sorry…"

Her smile filled my mind, and it was like I could feel her finger's wrap around mine. The whimsical night we had together in the woods, her soft lips, her beautiful green eyes.  

'I loved you before you got powers. You have such a gentle and caring heart, you always see the best in people, and you're so awkwardly enduring. Just you being you is enough.'

Her words filled my heart, and my body tingled from head to toe. 

"Am I really enough Annual? Am I really?"

"Well, what do you think she'd say?" 

Her voice sent shivers down my spine, and I jumped from my spot. I looked behind me and saw Valentina. 

"V-val?"

"Well, be honest Stryder, what do you think she'd say? Honestly?" She asked and walked over to me. 

The closer she got, the more of a mess I could see she was. Her eyes were puffy with bags under them. It was like she hadn't slept in days. I looked away and back down to the ground. 

"Who knows…" I mumbled.

Valentina walked over and sat down next to me. 

"I'd like to think she'd call you an idiot, then gently slap your head." 

Val chuckled and leaned back. 

"You don't have to worry about me Val, you should get going to school. I'm sure you can still make it if you go now. Isn't it finals week?" 

She looked over to me and her eyes met mine. 

"You're not fine Stryder." She said sternly, and I quickly looked away.

"It's okay, I'll be okay. I don't want you to fail because of me."

"Stryder." She completely turned toward me and moved her hand to my cheek, then made me look at her. "This is my decision to be here. That has nothing to do with you. You're one of the most important people to me. I don't care what's going on, I'm going to be here for you. You've always been there for me right?"

She lowered her hand from my cheek and looked back to the rubble.

"Besides, it's not like I can even study if I wanted to. Annual was my friend too." She chuckled. "We were science buddies."

I hadn't thought about it before, but they were really close. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't even think about your feelings."