Chapter 96 - This is war

I sat back in my chair and started to get myself ready. I adjusted my combat boots and the items on my belt. With Donum being gone, I had to really consider my inventory. I only had one more thing of tear gas, and two scatter ball bombs. I needed to make them count. It would be so easy to just rob the police...But that's not who we are. Then again I am letting Penelope hack into their system and essentially manipulate them.

"Just don't think about it, Stryder." I mumbled.

I took out my phone and looked over my texts to Zack. He hadn't replied to anything yet, and it was just about show time.

What could that idiot be doing? I set my tools down and started to call him.

"Yo! You reached that hot guy you've been dreaming about! Leave me a brief message, and I probably won't call back! DING!"

His phone went straight to voicemail? I wonder if something happened between him and his dad?

"Stryder, everythings ready." Leo announced.

He walked into the living room and Penelope was right behind him. She was busy typing something on her smart watch.

"I've taken control of the main communication line. I've only shifted the patrol routes slightly. So no one should raise a brow. We have a wide range of areas covered. Has Zack arrived yet?" Penelope asked.

I shook my head.

"It seems like he won't show." I sighed.

"So, let's have a similar unit to last time." Leo suggested. "Wiz and I can take Zack's route."

I blinked a few times. Wiz and I? Did he just volunteer!?

"Oh yeah! And Jack can take his place!" Penelope suggested, and I immediately shook my head.

"Protecting the home base is the most important role. I'll take the route to Zack's house. I'll see if I can talk to him, while the rest of you focus on the mission at hand." I said.

Boop! Boop! Boop! Boop!

Penelope's wrist watch started to go off. She looked horrified at it and started to quickly type on her screen.

"We just lost all but one drone!" Penelope shrieked.

"What!?" I yelled.

"Time for Magica!" Wiz cheered from the kitchen.

"I hate to agree with the idiot. But he's right, let's head out." Leo turned toward Penelope. "Do you have a visual of the assailant?"

"O-oh yeah!" She squeaked.

"Alright, so Wiz and I will head that way. Stryder you hurry and see if Zack is available." Leo said.

I nodded.

"Fair plan, be careful. It's probably Gopher boy and Matter change girl." I said and grabbed the hoodie I've chosen for the day."Let me know if anything changes!"

I moved the hood over my head and headed out.

...

I leaped from rooftop to rooftop. Letting the air entangle itself with me as I rushed to his place. It wasn't long before I was out of roof and I was just a street or two away. I climbed down and ran the rest of the way.

"Stryder, you're not gonna believe it! But there's someone down here controlling the leaves!" Penelope shrieked into the mic.

I stopped in my tracks. That had to be Joe!

"Listen, I'm on my way!" I said and turned around.

"No you idiot! Get Zack!" Leo yelled back into the mic. "We're gonna need him! This isn't Joe, and there's another. He must've hired more people. The other one can spin like a wheel and rocket himself around!"