Chapter 3- I become a clown

I leaned over the sink and listened to the trickling water. I just need to calm down. However, the words didn't stop my heart from practically beating out of my chest. I gripped the sink and stared into the bowl. Focusing on the water as I let myself calm down.

"Stryder, Strdyer..." It was like the trickling water was whispering my name.

I just tried to ignore it. The anxiety was just getting to me, that's all it is..

"Stryder...Stryder.."

I jumped from the sink as I heard my name called from behind me. I scanned the bathroom expecting to see Zack, but I stopped dead in my tracks. When I realized no one was in the room.

"What the heck...?" I mumbled.

"You have been chosen by fate, by fate," the whispers continued to echo throughout the room, the sound bouncing off the walls.

My head spun around like an owl. Looking everywhere I could to find the source. But the voice just continued. Louder and louder!

"You shall become our knight!" The voice roared into my ear.

I leaped out the bathroom and turned around, but there was nobody there. My heart was punching against my chest and I couldn't stop my legs from trembling. It wasn't the voice that scared me so much. But it was the breath I felt against my neck as it talked.

This had to be some kind of prank. Come on Stryder, voices? Yeah right. I took a few deep breaths and started scanning around the house. Looking for anything that could've caused the sound. Or even an open window, or flowing air vent for that breath. But nothing..

That voice. It called me a knight, just like the old man did yesterday. Is it possible they're connected? Or am I just out of it?

My theorizing came to a stop as I heard a loud obnoxious yawn coming from Zack. He sat up and stretched his arms to the sky. His long brown hair was frizzy, like he just went through an electric shock. He didn't say a word. He just got up and walked into the bathroom. Slamming the door behind him.

Crap, Zack's gonna take one of his beauty showers, I definitely won't have time for one. Guess I should just focus on getting dressed then, and making sure I don't stink. I leaned back against the couch, and my eye caught my dad's open door. Maybe I can borrow some of dad's cologne. As the thought came in, my arm shook. Yeah, I'm better off just washing up in the sink.

I sat back on the couch as I waited for Zack, holding up my mask and looking it over. It was really weird. It looked plastic, yet the material was cold and heavy like metal. What I found more interesting was the lack of a water mark. That old guy couldn't have made this, could he?

"And the devilishly handsome Zackeriah is complete!" I heard Zack cheer as he flung the door, letting steam fall behind him like it was a scifi movie.

I just rolled my eyes and stood up. Dropping the mask on the couch.

"Whatever, come on let's go. Lux left us breakfast." I replied as I leaned down and grabbed my bag.

"Ah my sweet love left me a gift." Zack hummed as he strolled over to the kitchen. "I forgot something at home. So I'll just meet you at school!" Zack cheered as he snatched his food and ran out.

'I forgot something at home.' That was Zack's code for "my dick dad isn't home so I'm gonna skip." I wanted to drop off my food to the homeless guy. So I didn't bother arguing with him. I just grabbed my things and headed out.

As I came upon the alleyway, I saw no sign of the old man. Which was bittersweet. At least I got to eat breakfast I guess.

I debated if I was gonna be a mom and make Zack come to school. But the memory of catching him dancing around in his boxers still haunted me. So I guess that meant I was on my own today.

....

I was excited for Gym class this time around. Today was Friday, so we had girls and guys free time. We did some stretches and workouts, then got to go do whatever we wanted.

Soon after we finished our sets, the girls came over to our side. That's when I laid eyes on her—a goddess among the common girls, a beauty undefined by earth who could only be appreciated right by the heavens—Alexis Summers.

She smiled at me and started to skip her way over. However, as she got close. Her smile slowly morphed into uncontrollable laughter.

I felt my heart sink. Oh no. No! No! No! I needed to run! But I couldn't leave since that would be rude! But the smell must have been bad. She'd never love me if I stink! My mind raced until she said the words.

"Zack gotcha!"

She held up her little makeup mirror thing and I saw my reflection. Zack had drawn all over my face. The markings under my eyes were smeared from my tears this morning. And in big bold letters on my forehead it read, "You got Zacked!" Lux saw me like this... Everyone saw me like this... Alexis saw me like this.

"I'm gonna castrate him," I growled.

Alexis just laughed.

"Come here, let me clean you up." She said between laughs.

"T-thanks."

"Hey, did you have that dream again?"

Her face was only a few inches from mine. I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks. I quickly averted from her gaze.

If I could have my way. I would just stay right here like this. Getting lost in her amber eyes. But this wasn't a dream, and I couldn't lie. With a shaky breath, I told her about it.

"I'm so sorry Stryder, you know it's not your fault what happened."

She kept talking, but every word that came out was just buzzing in my ear. I've heard it so much now. I wonder why everyone tries to sugar coat it? Like I'm some kind of child, I know blood stains my hands.

"Earth to Stryder!"

Alexis huffed as she flicked my nose.

"Oh, sorry, I was lost in thought. What's up?"

"So Homecoming's happening soon and I was wondering..." She suddenly stopped, and I could see her cheeks becoming as red as the streaks in her hair.

She moved her hands behind her back, seemingly trying to hide her fidgeting.

I could feel my heart beginning to race. Was she gonna ask me to homecoming!? Me? Stupid old me!? I took a breath and tried to compose myself. Doing my best to conceal my smile.

"Yes?"

"Could you.....drop a hint that I want Zack to ask me to the dance?" She blurted out.

I stared at her, not saying a word. Zack, she liked Zack...Zack. I forced my smile to stay on my face. I can't let my feelings get in the way. I needed to stay smiling for her.

"Definitely!" I chimed.

"Ooh thanks, I'm so shy. I don't think he would go for a girl like me, but maybe if you tell him, maybe he will!" She cheered as she playfully punched my shoulder.

"Hey, any guy would be lucky to have you. You're great."

I wanted to leave, I wanted to just disappear from the planet...

"Aww thanks. I'm glad we're friends. Now come on, let's play some basketball or something," she said, pulling me to a hoop.

Well, I guess I was right.