Annuals love, a valentines special.

“We’re getting close I think,” Stryder called out as he continued to lead the way through the trees.

That was the hundredth time he’s said that now, but I really couldn’t complain. I could barely keep my eyes open enough to look at the map. My legs felt like jelly, and the world around me felt like it was spinning. 

“Not now..” I mumbled.

I bit my lip and tried to not get upset. I hadn’t had a date with Stryder in so long. Why! Why wasn’t my body listening to me! This wasn’t fair. I looked up and saw Stryder staring at me. He had that puppy dog look in his eyes. The same look he’d always give me when he wanted me to lay down.

“I-I’m fine, really.” I huffed. 

I stood up tall, but it felt like I was gonna throw up. Just hold it, just for a little bit longer. I flashed him a smile, and he took a few steps over to me. 

“Annual, you look exhausted.”

“I-I’m fine.” 

“Then stay up like that, and walk toward me.”

You gotta be kidding me…

I took a breath that luckily didn’t make me blow chunks. First good sign. I looked into his ocean blue eyes and stepped forward. Then, suddenly I was going down. My legs gave in, and I had no control. I closed my eyes expecting the worst. But, something caught me. I hesitantly peeked, and I caught the soft gaze of his azure eyes.

“Annual, maybe we should-”

“No!” I squeaked. 

I averted from his puppy dog eyes and stared at the ground beside him. 

“Annual,” He whispered.

“It’s not fair! I just want to walk like everyone else!” I couldn’t help it anymore. The flood gates opened as tears streamed down my face. “I just wanted to walk in the park and see the flowers! I just want to be with you for a little longer!”

My head started spinning again, and a ringing sound pierced my ears. I gripped onto him like it was all the hope in the world. But even that started to fade. The darkness consumed the light, and eventually, I felt nothing. Was that it then? I didn’t even last to see the flowers?

Then, the light suddenly came back to me. But it wasn’t as bright as before, and my body felt warmer somehow. I was speechless. As the world came back together, I was dazzled by the open starry sky. The cold breeze brushed against my skin, and I heard the rustling of the trees around me. 

“Hey, I found it.” I heard his sweet voice chuckle.

I looked down, and there they were. The rainbow sea of Hisbiscus flowers covered the grass around me. I was speechless. I reached out and ran my fingers over the soft petals of the flower. I looked up and melted when I saw his big cheesy smile. He was holding me in his arms like I was a delicate flower. My body felt warm, and my heart started to race. 

“You did.” I giggled.

“I promised you didn’t I?”

I sniffled as I felt the tears coming again. He moved his palm to my cheek and gently wiped the tears away. I stared into his deep blue eyes, and I leaned into him. He followed my lead and we were inches away. 

And just like that, I was in love.

…..

“I can’t believe he just abandoned you like this!” Zack roared as he paced around the room. “I’m gonna kill him!”

“Easy big brother,  it’s okay.”

“No, it’s not! It’s been months since he’s seen you! I know his mom died and all, but that’s no reason to drop you!”

“Zack, come here,” I said firmly.

He growled but begrudgingly walked over to my bed. I looked up into his fiery forest eyes.

“Promise me, promise me you won’t say anything to him.”

“What!? Why!?”

“Because he needs his best friend right now.”

“I can’t be friends with someone as conceited as him..”

“You don’t mean that, and you know it.”

He growled and looked away. It was like lifting weights. But I managed to move my arm over to his and grabbed him. Which made him jump.

“Please, I love him. I feel like I lost a piece of myself with him not around. But I love him more than I hate him, I love him more than my hurt. We all are fighting battles, Zack. And he’s always the one who plunges in to help. Now he needs help. It brings me to tears knowing I can’t so please. Be there for him.”

He sighed and looked back at me. His intense glare of rage was calm and relaxed. He looked into my eyes for a moment, then moved his hand over mine. 

“I’m not a hero, I still can’t look at him without wanting to hit him. But I don’t hate him. So I guess.”

“Thank you.” I hummed.

I knew there was a chance I wouldn’t even hold out to see him again. But maybe this way, I can leave him with a blessing, and not a curse.