Chapter 36 - The blood on my hands

I solemnly stared at the dust that filled the building she crashed into. I was feeling it now. The guilt of all of this. I didn't like thinking about how I was gonna kill her. The worst part was I couldn't think of a nice way to do it. She was a strong opponent, and I virtually had no upper hand on her. I used my summoning more creatively, and she seemed to follow the same swing pattern. But that's all I had.

I started to jog forward, increasing my speed as I went. The building ahead of me was about two stories tall. It looked rather barren. Walls were missing from top to bottom, and it looked fragile. Like one hard-hit would collapse the whole thing.

As I got in close, I was greeted by a black and red blur. I quickly leaped to the side and just barely dodged whatever it was. I looked forward again and saw two more coming. One was raining down from the sky at me. While another was flying toward me. I jumped back as the thing from the sky slammed down a few feet in front of me. While the other one just zoomed past me. But it was way above me.

I could tell from the one in front of me now that she was hucking spears at me. But why did she-

RRRRGGHH!

A loud and eerie creaking cried from behind me. I quickly turned around and saw the hook from the crane I slammed into. And it was flying down onto me! I used my strength and leaped forward again. Crap! She played me! She used that first spear to line me up, and the second to drop that one onto me when I jumped back!

As I looked forward and started to think again. There she was, coming down on me with her huge blade. Lux's face flashed into my mind. I acted fast and shot myself up at her with all my strength. She grunted as I slammed into her. We both flew back and slammed into the ground. I summoned a chain as we landed and wrapped it around her leg. As we rolled I popped up onto my feet and with all my might flung her forward and let go. She flew like a baseball and crashed into the half made building.

I took a moment to catch my breath. I could feel the stream of sweat running down my face and into my eyes. I wasn't like Zack. My energy to us my abilities came from my stamina, not some mana pool. I guess I got it now why she only summoned that sword and spears. I've been draining myself.

I sighed and stood tall. I stared at the building and balled my fist. I'm needed to end this now.

I took a breath and then charged into the building. As I came in close, I could see her up and preparing to charge me. I could tell from the way she held her sword she was going for a left swing. I deactivated my eyes and when we met in the middle I preemptively dodged her. And it's a good thing I did! She had a powerful swing! I could feel the wind pressure hit my face like a fan as she swung past me. She stumbled forward a bit but quickly turned around toward me.

I only activated my eyes as she went to swing. She was glaring at me as I calmly dodged her strikes with relative ease. She was getting angry, and I knew my calm attitude was just making it worse.

I learned her pattern quickly. She went for a right swing, then a left swing. Then she'll go for an upward swing, and come down. I had her slam into the building a good couple times. I was sure it only needed one more hard-hit before it toppled on us. Just what I was hoping for.

As she came down for her downward strike, I summoned swords and made an X with my blades above my head. As she slammed down onto them, I slightly panicked. This one had a lot more force than the other swings! I moved the direction of the slash down to the ground beside me. I pinned her blade down with my own.

Her eyes grew wide and I quickly slid up her blade with my own. She stumbled back and let go of her sword. Just barely dodging my slash. She fell back on her butt and summoned a shield over her. I quickly came in and focused, all of my strength. Then I stomped on her shield! The whole building shook from me and started to come down. I then leaped forward out of that place.