~Chapter 18~ Kupatana

Season 1

A few days later, the Lion Guard and I were patrolling the Southlands. "I can't wait for Kupatana!" Asha blurted out of nowhere. "Yeah, it's gonna be a blast!" Naju joined. "Mom and Dad just told me about it today. But all they said was that it's a celebration that we hold every year. They seemed pretty busy about a potential dam bursting..." Kabira said. "It's a day of peace that we celebrate to celebrate... well... peace." Asha said. "Huh?" Kabira wondered looking at me with a raised eyebrow. "What Kesi is trying to say is Kupatana is a yearly event that we hold in the Southlands. It's a day that we celebrate peace and try to get along with everyone." I explained more clearly. "Ohh, I get it now. Kinda of. Sort of? Not... really." Kabira said. Naju, Asha, and Kesi started laughing at Kabira's comment. "You'll understand when its time for the Kupatana celebration. But for now, we're gonna patrol the Southlands and look for any trouble." I said.

~That same time in the Northlands~

Keres was pacing in the Northlands as all the lions watched her. She was mumbling to herself. Bakari walked over and said, "Woah, what's with-" He was cut off by Luna. "Shh, she's trying to think about something. We have no clue what it is." Luna said lowering her ears in boredom. "OK..." Bakari said slowly. "Today is Kupatana which means it's a day that animals will gather 'round in "harmony" and what not in the Southlands to celebrate "peace"." Keres said. "OK? What's that got to do with us?" Luna asked raising her eyebrow. "It'll be the perfect distraction to take out the king and queen." Keres said. Bakari and Luna groaned. Keres snarled at them and said, "What?!!" "Mom, we really need to stop thinking about them and start thinking about our home." Luna said. All the lionesses nodded. "Yeah, remember the hyenas? They still attack this place." Bakari said. "Well maybe if we could get the hyenas to... um, nevermind. This evening! That's when we'll attack!" Keres plotted. Bakari slowly drifted away with his tail between his legs. "And I expect you to be there, too, Bakari!" Keres said. This made Bakari stop in his tracks and gulp. Then he walked off. Luna looked back at her mother and jumped on the same rock as her. "Mom, are you sure this is a good idea? Bakari said-" Luna started then her eyes widened. She remembered something. "Um, n-nevermind. I'll just be going, heh." Luna said as she lifted her front paw getting ready to leave. But Keres stopped her and said growling, "Bakari said what?" Luna lowered her ears and said very fast, "Bakari said he saw the king's daughter get marked "leader of the Lion Guard" so she can use something called the Roar of the Elders to blow things away and destroy them!" Keres looked up with a shocked face. "Did he?" Keres said as she walked away. Luna watched her mom leave. Luna groaned and said, "Bakari, what have you done?" Bakari looked a lot like his sister. He had a darkish lightish brown coat, lighter brown underbelly, muzzle, eye shades, and paws, a red nose, green eyes, and his beginning mane was a tuft. His mane tuft had a few bangs so it usually got in his face. I actually found it attractive.

Once the Lion Guard and I ran the hyenas out of the Southlands, I said, "K, guys, we should all go get ready for the Kupatana celebration."

~Later that evening~

"Welcome, everyone to the Kupatana celebration! As we all know, we're here to celebrate peace in the Southlands. We have many ancestors to thank for all this peace." Dad told the Southlanders. Then Mom walked up and said, "Yes, and we-" Mom was cut off by growling and screaming. "What the?!" I said standing up cautiously. All the animals were running away from Keres and her pride. "Keres?" Naju said. "Oh, great..." I mumbled. "OK, Kesi, get the lioness pride in one place. Asha, attack Luna head on. Kabira, keep watch. And, Naju, with me!" I said again as I leaped into the air fiercely and unleashed my claws. They all did as they were told and once I roared Keres away, I saw Bakari. "Bakari?" I said in shock. "Kia... um, this isn't what it looks like." Bakari said. "Leave," I said putting my ears behind me violently. Bakari sighed and left. "And as for the rest of you..." I said looking at Keres's pride. I then roared and they all went flying back into the Northlands. "Well done, Kia," Dad said walking up to me. Mom ran up to me and said, "You were able to control your anger." "Actually, I wasn't angry at all. I was just defending my home. And Kupatana." I said smiling. "Way to go, Kia!" The Lion Guard said walking over to me. "Way to go, us," I said smiling. "Now let the Kupatana celebration... um... continue?" Dad exclaimed. The Southlanders cheered and then the Baobab flowers blossomed. I smiled as I watched Kupatana continue peacefully. "What a great day of peace!" Naju said smiling. I sighed happily and relieved as that one word floated through my head. Peace...

By the way, Luna and Bakari are twins. And also, thanks for reading!