Chapter 78

Have you bought a copy of this book yet? A real, printed book that you can take everywhere with you, lend to your friends…

No???!!

SHAME ON YOU.

Go and order yourself a copy!

You can order it by using this link: https://www.createspace.com/4799393

The link for Amazon is way too long, so message me to get it, okay? :)

If you DID buy a copy, I will be forever grateful. :) Please tell me what you thought of the book!

========

“I trust you all to follow the plan that was decided on,” Mr. Combright said sternly, looking around our little group. “It is of vital importance that all inhabitants of this village stay inside tonight.”

No one responded. Eros, Simon and I knew that our other friends were either close by – ready to join in – or silently shadowing school board members. We wouldn’t follow the plan at all. Or well, Eros and I would, just to keep up appearances. Rennor, Aurora, Ginger and Thetis weren’t in on the actual plan, but even they seemed offended by Mr. Combright’s unspoken accusation that we’d somehow fail to come through. He had no reason to suspect we were planning anything. Well, no reason aside from the fact that Eros and I never did what we were told. So maybe he had a good reason, but there was no proof whatsoever of us plotting against him.

“Very well, you may go now,” the teacher decided when it became obvious to him that none of us was going to say anything. “Good luck and please remember: no one can know what you truly are or what your task is here. Be careful.”

I almost smiled at that – careful had absolutely nothing to do with tonight. Of course Simon had told me the same thing before coming out here, but we both knew that advice was futile. I’d do what I had to do and if that put me in danger, so let it be. The only thing I knew for sure was that Eros and I wouldn’t let anything bad happen to the other, which made it all more or less safe.

Once Mr. Combright had left, Simon took charge as always. No one even questioned his easily assumed authority. “I’ll go search the perimeter, make sure no one’s leaving the village,” he told us. “I take it everyone knows what part they have to play tonight. You all have my phone number – don’t hesitate to call if something’s wrong.”

Everyone nodded solemnly. He then turned to me and took my face between his hands. Everyone looked away for a moment when he kissed me softly.

“Call me if you need me,” he whispered. “I’ll be tuned into you the whole time.”

“Just make sure you stay alive,” I replied quietly.  “I really want my power back and you being dead won’t help matters much.”

He smiled at my lame-ass attempt at a joke and kissed me once more. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Simon had only been gone for a second or so when Rennor took charge. His king-of-the-world attitude was very present once again. I’d come to like the guy, but when he was like this, I felt like strangling him. Eros and I had promised Simon to lay low as much as possible. We didn’t want to draw too much attention to ourselves. If the others realized our ulterior motives, they might start working against us. We had no idea if Thetis, Aurora, Ginger and Rennor would be with or against us if they knew the whole story. I’d been all for telling them, but Simon had made a fair point when he’d said the chance the school board would find out about our knowledge would increase if we told even more people than we had already. Besides, how much did we know about those four people? Our friends we could trust, but these girls and that guy were just classmates, nothing more. Maybe Rennor wasn’t as bad as I’d thought, but that didn’t mean he was trustworthy. Right now, I was seriously wondering why I’d taken a liking to him in the first place.