Chapter 40

Note: this story has been published through Self Publishing. Keep in mind that the Wattpad version is only the first draft! For the polished version without the many mistakes, buy a copy!

Where can you order a copy, you ask? Please use Create Space, because they give me more royalties!

Create Space: https://www.createspace.com/4799393

On Amazon (but they barely give me any royalties).

Don't hesitate to message me about where to buy it!

========

When I heard him say that, I was immediately alarmed. I sat up straight now, the blanket sliding off of me and back onto the floor. “What do you mean?”

“I compelled someone again,” he explained softly. “And it kinda went wrong.”

“You compelled someone on purpose?” I asked cautiously. He didn’t need to shake his head for me to know it had been an accident, though. I just knew. “What happened?”

“I was making out with Sheila and she... she just…” Eros looked so utterly lost and confused, and I couldn’t stand to see him hurt this much. Without thinking, I slid forward on the couch and hugged him from the side, burying my face in his shoulder for a brief moment. He stiffened for a second, but then he relaxed and eased into my arms. “I thought she wanted me, and I do think it was her own will that made her come to me and kiss me, but then I – I was thinking of you…”

“Why?” I asked sharply, moving away from him. “Why were you thinking of me while making out with Sheila?”

“It wasn’t like that, I wasn’t thinking of kissing you.” He looked at me with his deep, dark eyes, trying to make me see he was being honest. I could almost taste his fear. “I was just thinking of you, of how nice you looked this morning and stuff like that…” Did I imagine it or did he really flush red? “And then I could just feel her mind slip away, I could feel her own will disappear… And I couldn’t bring it back. There wasn’t anything left to control, she… she was… gone…”

“What?” I got up from the couch, towering over him for a moment. “How did you fix her?”

“I – I didn’t… She’s… in there…” he pointed toward a door that supposedly led to his bedroom. “It happened about an hour before I went to the meeting. I didn’t know what to do…”

“You – you – you…” I didn’t even know what to say. White hot anger was flaring up in me. I might not like Sheila, but this was insane. “You left her here while you went out to show off your speed and strength and such? You didn’t do anything to get her back?!” I was yelling by now, but I didn’t care. In the back of my mind, I could feel Simon trying to calm me, but I wouldn’t have any of it. I deserved to be mad at Eros. I could feel Simon’s mind starting to get closer now. He was alarmed by my fury and he was getting over here to try to calm me down in person. Great.

“I tried!” Eros yelled back. He wasn’t really mad though, he looked like he was on the edge of breaking into tears. I had never, ever seen him like this. “I tried so hard, but I couldn’t. I was hoping you would… you would be able to fix this. You said you could help me, now can you help me with this?”

“Go open the door,” I told him. When he got up and moved toward his bedroom, I sighed. “Not that door - the front door. Simon’s almost here, he’ll be able to figure something out. He’s smarter than the two of us together and if I ask him, he’ll be discrete about this.”