Chapter 29

Note: this story has been published through Self Publishing. Keep in mind that the Wattpad version is only the first draft! For the polished version without the many mistakes, buy a copy!

Where can you order a copy, you ask? Please use Create Space, because they give me more royalties!

Create Space: https://www.createspace.com/4799393

On Amazon (but they barely give me any royalties).

Don't hesitate to message me about where to buy it!

========

“I was nineteen when I met your father,” my mother started her story. “I was barely out of school, just starting college. I was a freshman and he worked at the coffee shop nearby. Whenever I came there to have a cup of coffee with some friends from college, he would make sure he was the one to wait on us, even if he was way too busy already. My friend told me it was because of me, but I could hardly believe that. Your father was a dashing young man, you see. He was two years older than I was and he had this haunted look that made all the girls want to discover what was paining him. He had messy blond hair, about your color. His eyes were light blue, like yours. You got your good looks from your father, that’s for sure.

“Anyway, one day I entered the coffee shop on my own. I was supposed to meet a friend there: Leanne. She wasn’t there yet, so I ordered a coffee and sat down at a table near the biggest window. You know how I love to watch the view. Your father was just having his lunch break and he asked permission to join me. That was the first time we talked about other things than what kind of coffee I’d like and if I wanted a piece of apple pie with it or not. I later found out he’d arranged the whole thing with Leanne, because he wanted to get me alone. Leanne had even told our other friends not to come to the coffee shop that afternoon, to make sure we’d have enough time to get to know each other.

“I was enthralled that a guy like him showed any interest in me. I’d only had a boyfriend once before and he’d dumped me for my best friend, so that wasn’t really a big success. When he asked me out, I said yes.

“My friends were all very happy for me and so was I. I was already falling in love with him even then. I didn’t know him that well, but he seemed nice and charming. All of my female friends were jealous and my male friends were happy I’d found someone. Jack – your father – picked me up to go to the movies on a Friday night. We had a wonderful time. He was as caring and as much of a gentleman as any girl could possibly want her boyfriend to be. He walked me home and asked permission before kissing me goodnight. I’d never been happier in my entire life. I thought this was real love.

“We went out a few more times, getting to know each other better. After two months of dating, he asked me to be his girlfriend. Being his girl was everything I could have dreamed of. Jack was the perfect boyfriend. My friends liked him, he was smart and funny… And he worked really hard so he’d have some money when he decided to settle down and have children. He wanted to have three kids, just like I did. He wanted to live in a quiet place, just like I did. We seemed perfect for each other.

“The first year of our relationship was easy like breathing. We never fought, he never did anything I didn’t feel comfortable with. After a year, the first problems started to occur. He wouldn’t show up when he was supposed to meet me somewhere, he stopped eating, he refused to come out before darkness fell. He wouldn’t tell me what was wrong with him and I was worried he was cheating on me.

“Eventually, I told him I’d break up with him if he wouldn’t tell me the truth. He flashed his fangs at me, scaring me stiff.” My mother shivered, her eyes watery. I waited patiently for her to resume her story.