Chapter 18

Note: this story has been published through Self Publishing. Keep in mind that the Wattpad version is only the first draft! For the polished version without the many mistakes, buy a copy!

Where can you order a copy, you ask? Please use Create Space, because they give me more royalties!

Create Space: https://www.createspace.com/4799393

On Amazon (but they barely give me any royalties).

Don't hesitate to message me about where to buy it!

========

‘Come on now, Dem, I know something’s bothering you.’  Simon sighed, taking a bite out of his apple. ‘I don’t care how many times you tell me there’s nothing to worry about. I know there’s something wrong, so you might as well just tell me.’ 
‘It’s nothing,’ I lied. ‘I’m fine.’
‘Sure you are; that’s why you’re all distracted and down. It’s lunchtime, you’re always cheerful at lunchtime, lecturing me about how sad and cute all those animals are whose flesh I’m consuming. When you didn’t do that today, I knew something was up.’ 
‘Don’t eat meat, it’s bad,’ I lectured him with a tiny smile. ‘Better?’
‘A bit,’ Simon smiled. ‘I still want to know what’s up with you though.’ 
‘Will you just drop it?’ I pleaded. ‘It’s nothing.’
‘Okay, fine. Excuse me for actually caring.’ Simon crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair, glaring at me. 
‘Oh, for Christ’ sake, stop the brooding look with the grey glow…’ I sighed deeply. ‘I’ll tell you already.’
Simon leaned forward eagerly. ‘Finally.’
‘Eros kissed me last night,’ I confessed, my cheeks turning bright red.
Simon’s mouth fell open and he stared at me in wonder. ‘You’re kidding.’
‘I wish I was,’ I admitted. ‘It was scary as hell.’
‘So, what… You’re like, a thing now?’ Simon asked, pretending to take it lightly.
‘Yeah, right,’ I snorted. ‘He’s been ignoring me all day. He’s going out of his way to avoid me, really.’
‘You…’ Simon seemed to be struggling, figuring out if what he was about to say was something he could ask me. ‘You… you kissed him back?’
I hesitated. ‘Yes. No… yes, but…’ 
‘Look, if you don’t want to talk about it, it’s fine,’ Simon said considerately. ‘Never mind.’ 
‘No, no, it’s just that I did kiss him back, I guess. But it didn’t really feel like I had a real choice or anything. I was taken by surprise and well… there was this fog…’ I considered what would be the best way to explain. ‘You remember the other day when Eros told me how sorry he was and I got all nauseous?’ 
‘Yeah, what about it?’
‘Well, I felt like there was this fog in my mind and it made it impossible to think. I think it made me say things I’d have never said otherwise. And last night when Eros kissed me… well, it felt like that fog again. But I couldn’t fight it… Last time, you where there and you focused me on what was real. But Eros was so close so fast… He… he clouded up my mind or something.’ I rubbed my temples. ‘I know it sounds crazy…’
‘What did you just say?’ Simon repeated.
‘I know it sounds crazy?’ I replied, frowning. ‘What-’
‘No, before that.’ 
‘He clouded up my mind.’ 
Simon’s head snapped up and he looked excited. ‘I knew it, it just all came together. God, I’ve got some books on this back in my room.’ 
I arched one eyebrow. ‘And what would it be…’
‘Compulsion. Mind control.’ Simon jumped up. ‘God, Demona, we’ve only got ten minutes left, but you’ve got to come with me.’
We hurried up to his room, where he rushed me into his bedroom. I realized I’d never seen his room before, but there wasn’t much to see. His side of the room only held a bed, a bookcase stuffed full of all kinds of old, big books, a closet and his nightstand. His roommate’s side was full of posters, clothes, pictures, books, games and food.
Simon rushed to the bookcase and pulled out a heavy book called Vampire Powers: a guide
‘You’ve got a book on vampires? Jeesh, you nerd,’ I teased. 
He rolled his eyes. ‘Well, before I met you, I had way too much time on my hands, as no one would talk to me, so I read up on some things, saved up to buy some books.’ He opened the book somewhere in the middle, throwing it on his bed. ‘Come and take a look at this.’
I sat next to him on the bed and leaned forward to read the passage.