Chapter 4

Note: this story has been published through Self Publishing. Keep in mind that the Wattpad version is only the first draft! For the polished version without the many mistakes, buy a copy!

Where can you order a copy, you ask? Please use Create Space, because they give me more royalties!

Create Space: https://www.createspace.com/4799393

On Amazon (but they barely give me any royalties).

Don't hesitate to message me about where to buy it!

========

I was early for my first class, so I took a seat at the back of the room. The teacher was busy reading a battered copy of The Phantom of the Opera, so she didn’t even notice me. I slumped down in my seat and threw my black hood over my head; I hoped no one would pay any attention to me, because I was sick of all the stares and whispers.

Slowly, other students filed into the room, talking animatedly with each other. No one really noticed me. A few girls smiled tentatively – it was strange, but it seemed like there was a blue light around them – but they didn’t talk to me. Thank God.

When everyone had arrived and the teacher finally put down her book – looking shocked at seeing all of us there and ruffling her already messed-up curls – a boy walked in. He was wearing all black and the hood of his baggy hoodie was up, like mine. He watched the ground while he walked and didn’t look at anyone. No one even glanced at him. I wondered why he seemed so… isolated. To my surprise, he sat down next to me, throwing his book bag under his seat and slumping down, like I had done.

“Hi.” I greeted him stupidly, not knowing what else to do.

He looked up in surprise, obviously not expecting me there. “Hey,” he replied, his eyes wide. “You…” he didn’t seem to know what to say, so he just smiled weakly and looked to the front again.

The teacher was just getting up to start her lesson. “Good morning class.” she said, smiling dreamily. “You know what day it is…”

“Oh, no…” a guy at the front moaned.

The teacher suddenly went from dreamy and distracted to completely and utterly rigid. She put her heavy glasses on top of her curly head and glared at him with watery blue eyes. “Did you say something, dear?”

“No, no…” the boy mumbled quickly. “Of course not.”

“Good,” she smiled dreamily again. “Take out your copies of Othello then. Come on.”

While everyone sighed and opened their bags, I was wondering what we were supposed to be doing. I took out Othello too, but I didn’t know what to do with it. The rest of the class was talking and laughing. With a frown, I watched the guy next to me open his copy and start reading.

“Erm, I’m sorry…” I said softly, “but what are we supposed to do?”

He looked at me in wonder. “You’re new?”

“Yes,” I confirmed, frowning. It was weird he didn’t know that by the look of me; everyone else seemed to need no introduction to know I was a brand new student.

“We’re supposed to practice a scene,” he told me, pointing at the passage, “but just read if you’d rather do that.”

I scratched the back of my neck. “You don’t want to practice.” It wasn’t a question, his demeanor was pretty damn clear.