Chapter 49

By now, you must have read the author’s note about 40 times or something. :P You know this book has been published, and you’ve read a bunch of chapters, so you must like the story. :) The book is only $16.99 so go and order yourself a copy!

The link: https://www.createspace.com/4799393

If you want to order on Amazon, massage me for the link!

=======

All of a sudden, two pairs of eyes were on me again, but it wasn’t like I had expected. I’d expected them to be confused, maybe even feel betrayed and angry. But instead, Mr.Summers had a knowing look in his eyes, while his wife looked downright terrified. This was bad. Simon’s feelings were whirling around me, making me feel dizzy. I tried to stay calm, but with him being so messed up inside, that was undoable.

“Aren’t vampires supposed to be... guys?” Mr Summers asked sceptically.

“Like fairies are supposed to be girls?” I shot back. “Yes, you’re right. In fact, I’m the only female vampire.”

“Well, that makes sense.” He leaned back in his chair. “You’re each other’s beards.”

I didn’t understand what he was getting at, and Mrs. Summers wasn’t even paying attention. Simon however got the gist of what his dad was saying and rallied.

“I’m not her beard.” His jaw was clenched and his fists balled. “We’re not covering for each other, pretending to be straight. We’re actually in love.”

“You’re not dating this girl,” Mrs. Summers said suddenly, her voice strangled. “She... she sucks blood.”

Simon and I looked at each other with wide eyes. We felt exactly the same way: stupid. We had talked about the way his parents would react when they found out I was a vampire, but we had never realized they might think I wasn’t right for him. That I might be a danger, a freak, an abomination even. We’d only discussed what we would do if they thought I was gay too, or if they didn’t believe me. We had even considered me showing my fangs right after telling them, just to be sure they’d grasp the truth, but that didn’t seem like such a good idea after all. How could we’ve forgotten the possibility of them thinking being a vampire was awful and appalling? My own mother thought so, after all.

“Calm down, Pauline, I don’t think Simon would be with this girl if she was hurting him,” Mr. Summers reasoned, rolling his eyes. “I think this just proves that their relationship isn’t real.”

“I will get to that later,” Simon said, finding the strength to look menacing at his dad. “First you, mom – how can you think she would hurt me? She is a vegetarian! You don’t really think she’d save animals from suffering, but hunt humans instead?”

“You are a vegetarian and a vampire?” Mr Summers asked incredulously, not realizing what that meant until now. “That must really suck.”

“It does,” I agreed, my voice very small because of all the emotions that were going through me. I’d known this would be hard, but I didn’t know if I could handle defending myself against these people. “But I don’t suck blood. Not yet anyway. And when I have to, I’ll find a way not to hurt anyone. I could always do blood bags.” My voice was still too weak for any of it to sound convincing.

“Demona hasn’t drunk any blood in her life,” Simon reassured his mother. “And even if she had, that doesn’t change the fact that she is the sweetest, most compassionate girl I’ve ever met. She’s made my life at school a lot easier and way more fun. I even made real nice friends since I met her. She’s the best thing that has ever happened to me. Please, don’t make me regret bringing her. I want for you to get to know her, not because I want you to believe I’m not gay – well, that too – but mostly because I want you to understand why she makes me so happy.”