Meeting our son.

A gasp made my eyes snap up to the hospital room door, Zak's mom and Aaron were stood at the door looking at me.

"What? I need to see him." I struggled as I relaxed back into the wheelchair.

"Maria, please. The doctor said-"

"Yeah I don't care. Listen... My boy needs me. My boys need me and I'm not letting them down. This stupid bag comes off today.. Better yet." I looked up at the empty blood bag, playing with the clip I stopped the last of the flow and took a breath.

"Don't-"

With a grunt I pulled it out and clinched my arm.

"Now I said don't." Zak's mom sighed, grabbing tissue, she passed it to me whilst I held it on tightly.

"Mrs Bag- oh." A nurse saw my arm and lifted a disapproving brow. "I was just coming here to take it out. I see that you've already done that for me."

"I want to see my baby and I want to see my husband. Today. Now." I swallowed looking around the room for water.

"Then allow me to fix your arm. How about a shower and bre-"

I interrupted the nurse. "Sweetie.. I understand you're doing your job. But right now I want my family."

"And in order to get you to your family, we need you to be fit and well." She retorted pulling on latex gloves and fixing my arm.

I sighed and looked at Aaron who wore a sympathetic look. "Don't give me that look." I muttered.

"Bubz is in the best pla-"

"No! The best place is in my tummy, in my tummy warm and safe and protected." I answered.

"Have you eaten?" Ellen asked.

"I haven't got time, I need to see th-"

"You have time." The nurse smiled.

"Okay, I'm not hungry. Now please. Either take me to my child or I'll wheel myself."

Ellen stood behind me and took the handles pushing me from the room. "First Bubz and Zak. Then you eat." She nodded.

Eating is the last thing on my mind when my baby is facing a fight for its life.

I knew the route, I had been trying to leave my room every 3 minutes but being opposite a nurses station.. Well I didn't get far. One nurse in particular felt the wrath of my words when she took me back in the room for the 7th time.

It seems persistence didn't pay off in this place. So I was now making my own rules.

Aaron went first holding the doors opening for me as we went through. Entering the neonatal ward I saw Zak with his head rested on his hands, from the look of it, he was praying.

"Zak?" I whispered making his head snap up.

"W-what are you doing out of bed?" He asked looking alarmed.

"How is he?" I asked looking towards the door.

He looked down at his feet making my heart stop in my chest.

God please no.. Please.

"I haven't been in. I can't. I've been sat out here all day and night. I haven't moved. But I can't leave him, I can't go in either."

Nodding I understood and pushed myself up off the wheelchair.

"Maria, it's best if you stay in the chair." Ellen spoke.

"No, I'm okay. What I feel is nothing compared to what my little man feels in there right now. I'm walking in."

I got to the door and looked at Zak who was looking up at me.