So what now?

I slammed the door behind me and clammed my hand over my mouth to stop me crying out.  As tears fell I held my other hand over my tummy and jumped as chaos erupted behind the door.

Gracie stopped momentarily in front of me hearing it but put her head down and continued with her sniffing.

The yelling, banging and crashing made me want to go in and stop him. But he said something unforgivable in my eyes and I knew then it was time to go.

Just walk Maria.

My legs began doing the work for me as I cried quietly across the beach.

I had yet again left my phone in the cabin only making me want to kick myself with anger. The further I got the harder I cried until I noticed a small crab.

I had only noticed it due to the diminishing sunlight and the fact Gracie had stopped to tilt her head at it. The small hermit crab pulled its shell behind it.

Right now me and the crab had something in common.... He needed his home and so did I.

The tears had stopped as I watched the crab and eventually I sat on the damp sand looking at the sunset.

I had nothing left in me to fight, I was exhausted, my feet hurt and my body its energy taken by bubs.

I drew my hand down across my face wiping the tears away, I leant over and picked up the crab.
Taking a look at him I decided to place him into a rock pool ready for the tide. Gracie followed my hand as I placed him down in the water and waited until it scurried away.

She snuffed and trotted over laying on my legs placing her head on my thigh, it couldn't have been the slightest bit comfortable but she was happy so I simply sat there and  patted the side of her gently.

----

I had been here hours I knew that from the sun disappearing and the moon shining across the bay leaving me sat on wet sand feeling cold and alone despite having Gracie by my side. Once the tide touched my feet I decided now would be the best time to move.. My eyes picked up a low flicking light on the beach, so far away I had to squint to see what it was.

Then I saw them.

There was a couple sat on the beach with a small fire going cuddled together, my heart ached in my chest wanting to have that with Zak

There was a couple sat on the beach with a small fire going cuddled together, my heart ached in my chest wanting to have that with Zak. Knowing that I wouldn't have it with him..

Picking myself up I dusted the shorts off and headed up the steps with Gracie in tow to sit on the wall. I looked at her and tried to sniff through my blocked nose "I thought we were going to be a family."

It was pointless talking to a dog, I knew that but I needed to speak with someone and as Aaron wasn't around it left my last trusted companion.... Gracie.

"Screw it." I sighed and stood up. I had no option but to head back to the cabin and call Aaron. I'd pack and find somewhere to stay for the night, Zak could have the cabin and the holiday after ruining it beyond recognition.