Broken promises..

I watched Zak as his fist clenched on the chain, his stance was defensive and his eyes hadn't left mine.

"Aaron.."

"Stay in the car." He ordered and got out.

"A-Aaron." I spoke but the door closed, Aaron moved to the front of the car looking at Zak.

I wasn't prepared for this, I didn't know what to do.. Someone who might. I pulled out my phone and rang the only person I knew would help. Who would help me no matter what...

I rang Nick.

I chewed the inside of my mouth wandering if he would even answer, my heart was racing and I was about to hang up when it answered.

'Maria?' Nick spoke. My heart heaved and I suddenly regretted it when I heard children's laughter in the back ground. He was home..

'Nick. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have rang.' I blurted out and went to put the phone down.

'No Maria. Talk to me!' He demanded.

I looked at Zak and looked away quickly, I needed help, guidance and advice. He was the only one I knew who could give me that as well as an incite on how to handle Zak.

'It's Zak. Isn't it?' He asked.

'Y-yeah. Nick I wouldn't have called if I wasn't desperate because of everything that has happened but I need help. He's not right. The exorcism... It didn't work, it didn't work and I don't get it." I answered getting upset.

'It did work, the chances are very small that they fail, his mind was weak and something else moved in. What is he doing?' He asked.

I looked at Zak and then Aaron 'He's staring at me like he wants to do some serious damage to me.'

'I need you to move away from him, a safe distance Maria.'

'I'm sat in the car. Aaron is trying to speak to him. I- he isn't listening.' I replied.

'Okay, now I'm going to tell you what you need to do. I'm going to send you a number, okay? You need to ring it. It's the number of a bishop, the same bishop we used for Bobby Mackey's he is in your area right now. He will tell you what to do next.'

'It's a pendant Nick. I think it is cursed he brought it back from the demon house, I told him it was a silly idea, he had it in his cabinet, you know the big black one?'

'I know it.'

'Well he went into the cabinet because something fell over and he put it right and now.. Now he isn't Zak. What if he hurts Aaron?' I asked desperately.

'Maria I'm going to end the call okay, as soon as you get the number you ring it.'

'Okay.'

The line went dead and I looked at Zak as his face twisted with anger and his head tilted to the side. My phone pinged with a message and I instantly rang it.

I explained who I was and it was Zak when the Bishop replied that Aaron had rang him earlier and that he would be there as soon as possible.

'But what do I do? It-' I gasped as I saw Zak shove Aaron to the floor.

"Aaron!" I dropped my phone and pushed the door open to get to Aaron when Zak stalked towards me but hit the ground when Aaron wrapped his arms around his legs.

They began struggling on the ground making me worry for both of them. Aaron would never hurt Zak, he would never hit him back. But Zak wasn't Zak right now and the odds were stacked against Aaron.

Amongst the struggle I noticed Aaron going for the chain, however Zak knew he was aswell and clenched his fist bringing it up. I hadn't fought or been near a fight since I was attacked at Joey's but I couldn't stand here and watch Aaron get beaten to a pulp.

I launched myself at Zak, the sudden impact hit him off Aaron and gave me a chance to wrestle his arm, my fingers tried to prise open his to get at the pendant, even if I had to snap the chain it would be better than Zak holding onto it like Gollum and the fucking ring!

His hand went around my neck trying to pull me away from his arm but I bit on his arm making him yell out in pain. I wasn't prepared for the blow in the side of my head from his fist. But I locked on tighter to his arm and resorted in biting the back of his hand.

Dirty tactic I know... Desperate times call for desperate measures.

The chain slipped from his hand and onto the floor making me grab it and throw it away from us as Zak yelled. Aaron was sat on him pinning his hand to the ground and yelling at me but the ringing in my ear hadn't stopped so I had no idea what he was saying.

My ear thudded and the burning of it was too much. I shook my head and put all my weight on his arm as it shook under me trying to pull itself away from me.

"Maria?! Are you okay?! Answer me!" Aaron shouted.

I nodded "My head hurts." I answered blinking.

"Hold on sweetie. Just keep him down. The bishop should be here soon."

Time passed and minutes felt like hours until a car pulled up.

"Aaron. Talk to me." The bishop spoke.

Aaron explained everything to him and pointed to where I threw the chain. I watched the bishop walk over and pick it up slipping it away into his pocket. If only out of sight truly meant out of mind.

"How long has he been like this?" The bishop asked kneeling beside his head. I hadn't looked at Zak, I didn't want to see him encased in evil. I didn't want to see a devil when I looked into his eyes, I only wanted to see the man I knew and loved.

"About 5 minutes. Since we pinned him." Aaron answered.

I looked at Zak's hand, his veins were prominently stuck out and his fingers were bent as his hand shook.

"Are you both okay?" He asked.

"We will be once he is under control." Aaron replied. I nodded looking at the bishop whos eyes narrowed at me slightly.

"You need cleansing too." He said looking at me.

"M-Me?" I stuttered in shock.

"Absolutely. You're weakened.. Because of him. He is your Achilles. Am I right?"

I looked at Aaron who nodded on my behalf, I guess Zak was my weakness, as I was his.

"After Zak.. I want you and Aaron both cleansed. But with me, I do things differently from other Bishops and priests. Zak had rang me about his problem the other day, I knew I would be called upon." He informed us.

"Just do whatever you have to do.. Please." I answered.

"Very well.. You'll have to hold him a little tighter." The bishop responded. I looked away and put my force into Zak's arm to keep him down. I don't know what happened or what he was doing but Zak's yelling and scream was enough for me.

The bishop was right, he was my weakness as it took everything in me to resist the urge of letting him go and stopping it over the idea of hurting him. Tears stung my eyes as they carried on when Zak cried out at me.

"You promised! You promised me! They wouldn't harm me if you are here! You lied to me Maria!"

My heart broke hearing it as I felt the words sink into my heart and tummy.

He was right.

"It's the demon." Aaron answered.

Maybe it was. Or maybe it was Zak telling me the truth. The raw uncoated truth instead of bullshit.

I had let him down and I knew it.