Kaleidoscopes..

The next day...

Zak POV.

I rolled over in the bed and pushed my fingertips out to find her.. Feeling the coldness of the mattress my eyes opened and I looked up at the ceiling with a sickening feeling that this had all been some twisted dream that my mind had concocted. My chest began to tighten at the idea, that I had lost her, she wasn't mine again and I'd never have her back!

Anxiety flooded my body the longer I laid there but the pressure I had on my chest made it impossible for me to move. My lungs began to work harder the more I thought of the thing I was going to miss. Even down to her hair and the small anklets she wore. I rolled off the bed and staggered to the bathroom as I gasped for air. Pulling open the cabinet I cleared it whilst looking for my inhalers.

This was a asthma attack, I was having an attack from stress because my mind had played me.

I can't breathe! I can't breathe!

Im going to die! I'm going to die alone!

I stepped back and kicked something across the floor, I turned to see it was my inhaler. Slamming to the ground I grabbed it and shoved it in my mouth but it was empty making me throw it against the wall.

I put my head between my knees and began praying...

Tears pricked my eyes as I thought about all the things I wanted to do in life, all the things I wanted to say to Maria. All the-

I'm going... I'm going!

"Zak!"

My head lifted to see Maria racing over to me and holding my face.

Hallucinating... It's not perfect but at least I get to see her face one last time.

I felt a warm tear leave my eye and roll down my cheek. I watched as her brown hair curtained her face temporary as she went into her bag. Throwing herself behind me I had my mouth prised open and an inhaler shoved between my lips. She pinched my nose and pressed the inhaler down releasing the chemical. I breathed it in instantly. Maria let go of my nose and took the inhaler away as I breathed again before she put it back into my mouth and pinched my nose.

"That's it.. Shh..." She hushed rubbing my chest under her hand.

She began singing quietly in my ear, making me pull myself from my thoughts and concentrate on her words.

"Oh, tears make kaleidoscopes in your eyes
And hurt, I know you're hurting, but so am I
And, love, if your wings are broken
Borrow mine 'til yours can open, too
'Cause I'm gonna stand by you"
I closed my eyes listening to her voice, smokey voice singing softly in my ear.

"Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you."

I could feel my chest loosen slightly as I sat on the floor of my bedroom with her. Leaning on her, Maria brushed back my hair and kissed my head  repeatedly until I was at a calmer level.

"Once more please." She whispered putting the inhaler to my mouth.

I did it again and looked up at her as she watched my chest. Her face full of worry as her hands held onto me.

"I thought you were gone. I thought.. I th-"

"I got you. I'm not going anywhere." She reassured me giving my forehead a kiss.