Bad JuJu?

I had just finished putting the kitchen utensils away when pounding sounded on the front door.

"Who the fuck?" I whispered walking to the door.

I was determined to slap them upside the head for banging on my door like that.

I undid the door only to be shoved back as Zak stormed the house.

"Why are you here?!" He shouted.

"It's okay."

"Are you okay? Did they hurt you? Have you been scratched? Is anyone here with you? Why did you come here alone? It's not safe Maria. Let me see you." He fussed brushing my hair back.

"She's fine bro." Aaron spoke behind him making Zak's head snap back at him.

"Aaron. You're here." Zak confirmed.

"Yeah, I stayed. What's up bro?" Aaron frowned coming over to us.

"I..." Zak looked back at me with his  brow knitted together.

"You left me at my moms.. I woke up and you weren't there. I thought they got you." He admitted looking a little embarrassed.

I gave him a little smile and kissed the palms of his hands. "Aaron did it.. The house, it's ours again."

Zak looked at Aaron before leaving me and pulling him into a manly hug and giving him a slap on the back.

"Thank you bro."

"We help each other, besides anything for my little nerd." Aaron smiled at me.

"Thank you Aaron." I smiled gratefully at him.

"It's cool. Besides you've kicked my ass enough times... Right! Now you both are here, I'm going home. I got orders to do. I'll ring and check on you both later. Any problems Zak you ring. If not then Ri you ring me.." Aaron replied looking at me and shooting a look at Zak who was looking at the house.

I nodded knowing he meant If there were any problems with Zak.

"Bye Aaron, drive safe."

"Always do! Gracie is in the pool!" Aaron called.

I sighed.

"IM NOT SORRY FOR MAKING HER SWIM!" He laughed running to his car.

Just as he was getting in I gasped as the wetness touched my leg, I looked down to see Gracie soaking holding a tennis ball.

He had threw it in the damn pool!

I waved Aaron off and closed the door going back in to see Zak. I found him in the garden under the
Veranda and wind chimes.

"You want some time alone?" I asked quietly.

He shook his head and pulled me into his lap. I pulled my feet up and tucked my head into the crook of his neck watching the water of the pool dance in the breeze.

Right now Zak would have a ton of emotion with no real understanding of how to process it. He didn't need me speaking to him, or even encouraging him to push on. All he needed now was peace, relaxation and a cuddle. I could hear the beat of his heart and settled on listening to that with the wind chimes and occasional breeze.

"I let you down." Zak spoke making my eyes open.

"How?"

"I didn't beat the house, it beat me.. I should have protected you. But I failed. Aaron had to do it."

I lifted my head up to see him frowning at the arm rest of the chair hard. I turned him to face me and held his chin.

"You Zachery Bagans. Have kept me safe, supported me and looked after me for nearly 2 months of this. You've changed the bedding from my night sweats. Nearly every night, you've held me every night told me things were going to be okay. Now things are and sweetie quiet frankly I don't see what difference it makes you doing it or Aaron. All that matters to me is that we are all safe. You were strong for the two of us..."

"I became its bitch!" He spat.

"Only if you think of it like that."

"How else can I think of it?" He asked annoyed.

"That you made in vulnerable, you risked your own spiritual wellness to weaken its walls. You welcomed it to destroy it." I answered.

"You believe that?" He asked.

I nodded and smiled "Absolutely. You're my hero."

A small smile played on his lips and his kissed my nose making me scrunch it up at him.

"You haven't slept, have you?" He asked.

"It was my turn to fight the sleep demons off you. We will get some sleep tonight. But for now? Now I'm happy to sit here and have a cud-" I stopped feeling a raindrop.

"Oh hell n-"

Next minute heaven decided to have a downpour, myself and Zak had to run in the house with Gracie barking excitedly behind as I squealed.

"Rain." He smiled looking out the glass doors.

"Yep, come on. We should eat something."

I made up turkey salad sandwiches and watched Zak demolish them as I ate one. He managed to pile away three before holding his tummy.

"Too fast?"

"Maybe. But when you make a sandwich.. They are just so good, I've watched you make them but you do something different and it's crazy cause it's just a sandwich."

"I don't put bad juju in it." I replied.

"Bad juju?"

"Yeah, bad energy into it. I make all the food for you with love. I seal it with love. And that's what you taste." I replied as he smiled.

"I can believe that. Bad JuJu."

"Now.. If I am right in believing... We said about a movie afternoon?" I asked swirling on the barstool.

"Yep. But first we both need to shower, get some comfy clothes on and then we can relax." Zak answered. I nodded and headed to the shower with him in tow.

With Zak showering I stripped the bed and made it putting on fresh sheets. I found out some clothes for myself and was set, once Zak was out. I was in. Normally I would just go in with him, but I thought he may have wanted some privacy.

Too much time together and I thought I was probably annoying...

But today wasn't about me, it was about him and I planned to make him feel relaxed, loved and appreciated.