Dagger to the heart

I woke up on Aaron's couch with ice pack wedged against my head and the couch. Groaning from the coldness I sat up slowly only for the room to feel like it was moving.

Where's Zak?

I sighed and held my head in my hands, I felt the coldness of my head on one side from the ice pack trying to decrease the lump I had on my head.

"Let me see her Aaron." Zak spoke in the hallway behind the closed door.

"She needs rest bro, you heard what the bishop said."

"Fuck that. I know my girl, I know Maria. She will be wondering where I am."

"She's my best friend bro."

"Well I top you so just move."

"No z-" I looked at the door hearing a struggle when Zak burst in and looked at me.

"Zak!" Aaron snapped at him.

"Y-you're awake?" Zak asked coming in. He reached for me but I moved away from his hand.

"You're afraid of me? Maria please I need to talk to you about this.. I can't remember anything and it's scaring me."

I looked to Aaron who looked between us. I went to open my mouth when I closed it again..

Think Maria. Think!

"What do you remember?" I asked him.

"You. You sang to me. We were getting a bit hot and heavy. I threw you over my shoulder. That's it! That's all I can remember, did we stop? Did we have sex? What did we do?! What did I do? Did I hurt you?" He asked desperately.

"N-"

"Yes you did." Aaron answered making me shoot him a look. Zak sat down and took my hand.

"I am so sorry." He spoke soberly.

"You don't remember last night?" I asked.

He shook his head and looked at me concerned. "Were you possessed?"

"I wasn't myself." He replied.

"What does that even mean?" I asked.

"I was there but I wasn't there. I don't remember anything that happened."

"So you were possessed then? Stop trying to sugar coat everything and tell me straight."

"Yes." He answered quietly.

"Oh my god.." I breathed looking away from him.

"Ma-"

"Oh my god!" I pulled my hands away from his and rubbed them over my face.

"I'm so-"

"I need a minut-"

"No we need to talk abou-"

"I need a minute Zak! Did I sleep with an incubus?" I asked looking at him.

His face went pale and his eyes looked away from me.

"Did I?!" I asked more abruptly.

"There's a chance th-"

"Are you freakin' serious right now?!" I stood up and began pacing Aaron's lounge.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know that was attached to it! We don't even know if it was one." He tried to reason.

"Cut the shit Zak, I slept with someone that wasn't you. I slept with a demon... Thinking it was you! Would you be happy if I slept with another man because I was possessed?" I asked.

"But you didn't sleep with someone else. It was me!"

"Physically but not mentally!" I cried and held my head from the pain that surfaced.

"It's going to be okay. I can prom-"

"No! I don't want promises Zak because we can't keep them! Not too each other!"

"What can I do? Tell me what can I do to make this right?"

"I- I don't know.. I don't know what to do next." I replied wiping my tears.

"Do you want to break up with me?" He asked hurt.

"No? No. I don't know but I can't deal with all this all the time. You need to separate it Zak.."

"I'll do it. Whatever it is."

"Separate work from home. You get yourself protected. Properly."

"I've done that." He answered pulling a small medallion from the inside of his shirt.

"Show him Maria." Aaron spoke from the doorway.

"Show me what?" Zak asked.

"What you did to her. Maria help him understand how important it is."

I bit my lip looking at Zak's face, I couldn't hurt him. Not intentionally, I didn't want to see upset or hurt in his eyes from m-

"Show me sweetie." He whispered standing up.

I nodded and pulled the sleeves back on my top showing bruised wrists. His eyebrows knitted together as he inspected them carefully.

I lifted my head to show him the finger marks on my face and throat.  After that... I showed him my back.

I heard him breathe in sharply from seeing them, I looked over my shoulder and saw his fingertips reaching out to touch them but his hand stopped.

"It's not your fault." I whispered.

Zak came around and stood in front of me making me look up to him.

His lips pressed against my forehead "I won't ever let this happen again to you."

I sniffled "I know. I believe you."

"Which is why I have to do this..."

I stepped back watched his chest heave before he stepped away from me.

"Do what?" I asked looking at him.

"Zak br-"

"I'm sorry Maria. This is over. I think it will be best we split up and you move out."

I blinked at him, mind couldn't work it out. I didn't understand.

"I don't understand. I don- I don't get it? We can work from this and you want to what?" I asked.

"I doing this for you.. Goodbye Maria." Zak said before making his way to the door.

"N-no! No! You will not give up like that! No!" I yelled at him following him to the front door. As he opened it I slammed it shut.

"Maria please."

"What did I do?! What have I done?!"

"IT'S ME! I'M THE PROBLEM!" He yelled into my face making me whimper at the anger behind his eyes.

"We can work this out!" I cried.

"You dont get it!"

"I do! I love you and you love me Zak! We work at this! Not thr-"

"Love?! Love?! I never loved you."

I gasped at his words, feeling my world slipping between my fingers I grabbed onto his top.

"You're just saying that. I don't believe you. You told me you lo-"

"I said it. Didn't mean it." He smirked.

"You're a liar!"

"No.. This is me Maria. The real Zak the one you always knew deep down. Even you're not that stupid! Are you?!"

When I didn't answer he began laughing at me "You're pathetic. I could never love you. I have never loved you."

He pulled my hands off his top and shoved me away from the door before walking out of it with his last words echoing in my mind.