U-Turn

"Well?" Zak asked holding the tests. "Are you pregnant?"

I tried to form words, but they wouldn't arrange themselves. Just seeing his face reminded me of Nick's words "He's never going to be ready to settle down."

"I-"

"Are you?!" He snapped looking inside the bag and pulling out even more. "I- argh Maria!" He shouted.

I went to speak again when he threw them on the bed and began pacing the bedroom.

"You're disappointed because you wanted a baby! Not because you think you're gonna have a peri- damn! Why do you treat me like I'm an idiot?! Didn't you think I'd notice? A massive bump?! Fuck!"

Tell him the truth.. You don't know. Or better yet. Lie!

Say they are because you have no implant in yet and he's not been wearing a condom.

Just be honest with him and tell him it's not confirmed yet.

"Say something!" He yelled.

"Please stop shouting at me.." I whispered.

"How can I not?! How long have you know?! A day? A week?! A month?!"

"I'm late.. That's all I know." I answered him quietly. If I raised my voice it would only encourage him too get louder.

"And you didn't think to share that with me?" He asked as he stopped pacing.

"I- I don't even know if I am late with the miscarriage, it could have altered my body clock. Don't stand there and shout at me for something I don't know anything about. It could be nothing which is why I didn't tell you!"

He picked up a packet and handed it to me "Do it. Now."

I snatched it from his hand and held it in mine looking at the box. He was angry, yet last time he said if I was pregnant... He'd be happy that it was with me. That was clearly nothing but a lie.

"Now!" He ordered making my lip quiver, I got up off the bed and threw him a look.

"Guess Nick wasn't completely wrong about you." I bit before storming into the bathroom and slamming the door.
Just for good measures I locked it as well before sinking down against the door.

I didn't even need a wee, so this was only wasting our time. A small thud sounded on the other side of the door as I leant against it.

"Maria... Open the door." His voice came out quietly.

"No, all you are going to do is shout at me. I don't like it when you do. You know that but you insist on doing it... Don't you?" I asked.

"Because I'm an idiot. Just- I can't speak to you through a door. I feel stupid." He replied.

"Then you know how I feel every time you shout at me. Just go. Go and do the stupid lockdown."

"And leave you like this? No. I need to know as well." Zak responded making my eyes roll.

"I wouldn't want to be a burden... Just go Zak. I'll text you when I know and I'll do the test when I'M ready. Not you." I snapped folding my arms.

"I want to be here. We should be doing this together."

"Why? You're just angry at me and I don't even need to pee."

I heard a soft laugh on the other side of the door making me frown hard at it. Sure laugh at me why don't you.

"Babe just open the door."

"No Zak."

I heard him sigh hard "Okay, want to know why I'm mad?" He asked.

"Yes! Because there is nothing to be mad about! I don't even know and yet here you are getting your panties in a wad!"

"It's a self defence mechanism okay? I'm scared."

"About what? Being tied to me? Gee thanks."

"No. I'm scared because... Well because I haven't exactly had a good father figure so I don't know how I'm suppose to be one myself. I'm just as scared as you and I shouldn't be taking it out on you. But I don't know how else to deal with his."

"Did you mean what you said? Last time? Can you remember?" I asked him.

"Of course.. I would be happy. But I never imagined it would pan out with me falling over a bag of tests. How many do you even need?" He asked.

"I just wanted to be sure. Incase it was positive cause you know. With last time..." I trailed off.

"Shall we do the test?" Zak asked standing up and rubbing my arms gently.

"What about us?" I asked looking up at him.

"What about us? If you're pregnant Maria then you are pregnant. If you're not then we can move on from all this."

As much as I wanted to believe that, I simply couldn't and went back into the bathroom to take the test.

Three minutes.

That's all it took was three single minutes. I set the timer on my phone and opened the door for Zak as I sat on the edge of the bath looking at the test.

Three minutes that could make us, or break us. Despite what he said, I just had a hunch that what he said was nothing but lies.

I looked at my phone.

01.25

My heart was already in my mouth as the numbers descended.

"What do you want it to say Maria?" Zak asked sitting beside me.

"What does it matter?" I mumbled.

He shrugged "I guess it doesn't.. So what do you want it to be?"

"I think one day we could be amazing parents.." I replied as the timer went off. I turned it off and went to pick it up when Zak stopped me.

"What if we don't find out? Just let fate do its work?" He suggested.

"You wanted me to take the test.."

"But what if it's not what you want?" He asked looking concerned.

"Then I guess we'll both know for certain." I answered.

"But I'm scared... For both of us."

I picked up the test and squeezed his hand.

"Ready?" I asked him as his eyes went to the test.

I flipped it over and felt my heart nosedive in my tummy. I felt his hand loosen on mine as I fought back the urge to cry.

Swallowing back the tears I looked at him. "Like I said.. It was nothing."

Negative.