Brother

(This was originally going to be posted on Christmas but I am giving you your present early since I won't be able to post it then! Merry early Christmas!)

Hailee's brother Griffin had never liked (Y/n). He thought (Y/n) didn't deserve his little sister. Ever since he had met (Y/n), he hadn't liked him. (Y/n) didn't know what he did wrong, and Hailee kept telling him that Griffin was just overprotective of her, but (Y/n) just thought that Griffin didn't like him in general.

Tonight was New Years eve and (Y/n) and Hailee were celebrating with Hailee's family. Her parents were throwing a New Years eve party with all of their family and friends, and it was going to be pretty big. Cheri and Peter, Hailee's parents, had loved (Y/n) and were very excited to see him tonight, but Griffin was not.

"Hailee! (Y/n)! Come inside!" Cheri greeted them once they got to the door. Both Hailee and (Y/n) gave her a hug before walking inside. "It's very nice to see you too, Mrs. Steinfeld." (Y/n) told her, the woman waving him off. "Please, call me Cheri!" She insisted. There was music playing and everyone was both inside and outside. Hailee and (Y/n) went to greet Peter outside, and Griffin was there too.

"(Y/n)! Hailee!" Peter waved, both of them walking over with their hands connected. "Hi dad." Hailee mumbled and hugged him. "Hello Mr. Steinfeld." (Y/n) waved, giving him a hug next. "(Y/n), you're basically family." Peter started, Griffin scoffing at that. "Please call me Peter." He continued, ignoring his son. (Y/n) nodded and gave him a thumbs up before Hailee pulled (Y/n) over to where everyone was dancing to music. "Let's dance!" She told him, and he nodded. "Alright." He smiled, and the two went over to the dance floor.

The two of them started dancing together, ignoring everyone else around them. The song was more of an upbeat song, so they were just doing a bunch of different dance moves and making the other laugh.

Griffin was watching the two lovers, but mostly glaring at (Y/n). He didn't think (Y/n) could ever deserve his baby sister. He only wanted to protect Hailee from another heartbreak, maybe if he kept saying he didn't like (Y/n) she would break up with him. Her past relationships had always ended badly and the men had hurt her with no remorse, so he thought (Y/n) would eventually do the same.

However, as he watched the two dance together and saw just how happy Hailee was with (Y/n), he realized something. Ever since she had started dating (Y/n) three years ago, she had been significantly happier, the happiest she had ever been, or at least the happiest Griffin had ever seen her. (Y/n) simply made her happy, and as he watched the couple slow dance together like nobody was watching, he knew that (Y/n) would never hurt her.

"I'm going to go get something to drink, do you want anything?" (Y/n) asked Hailee, who shook her head. "I'm going to go talk to True, just come find us when you get your drink." Hailee told him, going off to talk to her cousin. (Y/n) went inside and started to pour himself some water, Griffin following him inside.

"Hey (Y/n)." He mumbled, now standing next to him. "Hey Griffin?" (Y/n) responded, looking at the older Steinfeld sibling in confusion. "Listen, I'm sorry I've been so mean to you. Just, Hailee means a lot to me, she's my baby sister and her past relationships had ended horribly, I didn't want you to be the same and break her heart. I thought maybe if I didn't like you she would break up with you, but now I've realized how happy you make her. You would never hurt her, or cheat on her or anything like that, so I'm sorry I've been so rude to you for the past three years." He apologized with a guilty look on his face.

"It's okay. I forgive you. I would never hurt Hailee like that. I love her, the last thing I would want to do is hurt her. I know her past relationships ended badly, but I dont ever want to let her go, I would be stupid if I did that. You were just looking out for her, I respect that. Just between you and me, I think I'm going to be in her life for a pretty long time, I don't ever want to let her go." (Y/n) shared. "You want to marry her?" Griffin asked, partly in shock. "Well, we're still young. Only twenty five, but I don't ever want to break up with her. So, I guess one day I would like to marry her. I don't know when, but I know I want to." He responded.

"Well, I support you. Enjoy your night." Griffin gave him a pat on the shoulder before leaving. (Y/n) walked back out and saw Hailee still talking to her cousin. He went over and snuck behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist and giving her a hug from behind. Hailee turned and pressed a kiss to his lips before turning back to True. "Well, thanks for making me the third wheel." True announced, making both of them laugh. "Sorry True." They both apologized. (Y/n) noticed Griffin standing nearby and sent him a smile, with him sending one back.

It was nearly midnight and everyone was finding their partners so they could kiss when the ball dropped. "Three! Two! One! Happy New year!" Everyone shouted while (Y/n) and Hailee connected their lips in a passionate kiss once the clock hit midnight. "Happy new year." Hailee whispered and smiled at him, her forehead resting on (Y/n)'s forehead. "Happy new year." He mumbled with a smile before connecting their lips again. Tonight had been amazing, and (Y/n) was just happy that the whole Steinfeld family had liked him and supported his relationship with Hailee now.