XLIII.

KANI

It's been a few days since the news about William spread. When I first found out that he got shot, I was in disbelief. I cried for hours. Even though I cheated on him, I still cared for him deeply.

What makes it worse is that he was shot by Andre. I didn't know that dude would be crazy enough to do something like this. They still haven't caught him yet, but rumor has it, that the cops are getting close to finding him.

I took an Uber to the hospital that Will was admitted into because I needed to see him. The last time we talked was that day in English class. That couldn't be our last memory.

I walked into the hospital to see his mother at the front desk.

"Hi, Ms. Pierce." I walked up to the desk.

"Hi, may I help you with something?" She asked, dryly.

"Um, I was wondering why you were out here and not with Will."

"I check on my son every second I get. I just can't sit there and watch my baby and I'm not able to do anything to help him."

"Well, it's good you're working. I was wondering if I could see him."

"Why should I let you? You hurt my baby's heart. Yeah, I know what you did and I don't know if that's a good idea." She shuffled papers on the desk.

"I know what I did was wrong, but it would mean the world to me if I got to see him for a few minutes. I haven't been able to sleep after I found out the news." I cried.

She looked me up and down. "Fine, you got 5 minutes, but don't think this means he's going to forgive you because you came to visit." She said, walking me to his room.

I walked in to see Will hooked up to all these different machines. It broke my heart to see him like this. This once glowing and happy soul was covered in wires and tubes.

I walked up to the side of his bed and held his hand as I looked at him while he laid there. He looked like he was peacefully sleeping.

"If I could change everything, I would. If we were still together, you'd be fine right now. If I could get a second chance, I wouldn't mess it up." I whispered to him as tears fell.

I kissed his cheek and hugged him the best I could. Suddenly, the door opened and Leah walked in with balloons.

"I know you're fucking lying right now!" She shouted.

"Listen, I'm not here to fight. I just wanted to see him."

"You've seen him, so get the fuck out."

"It doesn't have to be like this, Leah."

"I don't care, now get the fuck out before I make you get out."

"Fine!" I said in an aggravated tone.

I looked at Will one more time and just wished he'd wake up already.

I walked past Leah and made my way out the door.

LEAH

That bitch had some nerve showing her face around here. If she thought that she'd get some type of validation for being here she's wrong.

I placed the balloons I bought by Will's bedside. I sat in the chair that was next to his bed and grabbed his hand as I stared at his sleeping form.

"Hey, Will I bought you balloons. You can't see them, but they're really cool." I talked to him.

"It hasn't been the same without you. I'm back to not having my best friend again." I said in a sad tone.

"I have a ton of things for us to do. I just need you to wake up though." I looked at him.

The tears welled up. "I'm sorry this happened to you. Maybe, this is my fault."

His breathing was slow and steady. This happened every time I came to visit him. I'd do this every chance I got to see him. I sighed as I rubbed circles with my thumb across his hand, praying that he'd wake up soon.

WILL

I slowly opened my eyes to bright lights and monitors. I looked down to see my body covered in wires and tubes. It was so uncomfortable. I looked to my side to see Leah crying and blaming herself for what happened.

" I...It's not...your fault." I managed to say.

She looked up at me in shock.

"Will!" She screamed.

"Da...Damn, my ears, Leah." I let out a slight chuckle.

She hugged me tightly. I got a whiff of her perfume and it made me start to cry.

"Oh my God! Am I hurting you? Are you okay?" She asked, concerned.

"No, it's just..I smelled your perfume."

"Is there something wrong?" She asked, smelling herself.

"No, I'm just happy I can smell. I'm happy I can see. I'm happy I'm here period. I'm alive, Leah." I smiled.

"I knew you were going to be okay. I'm gonna get your mom." She ran out of the room.

I couldn't wait to see my mom and the bro's. I needed Leah to catch me up on what I missed. How long was I out?

~Hours Later~

I've talked with my mom, who couldn't stop crying and I FaceTimed Danny and the bro's, who were so excited to see me up and awake.

Leah was still sitting right by my side, while my mom went to get me some food since this hospital food wasn't it.

Leah caught me up on the investigation with Andre. She even told me that Kani came to see me, which surprised me. She also caught me up about things that were happening in school as well.

"What's the last thing you remember from that night?" Leah fixed my pillow for me.

"At first, thinking about that night was a blur, but now I remember a lot."

"I remember fighting and the sound of the gun shot. I hoped that it was him that was hit until I felt my body slowly start to get cold."

"I think I blacked out after cause the next thing I remember was you holding my chest, screaming for an ambulance. The last thing I remember from that night was doctors pulling you away from my stretcher as they dragged me to surgery." I added.

"I know all of that had to be terrifying for you." She said in a sad tone.

"It was, but what made it better was the fact that you were here the whole time when you didn't have to be." I grabbed her hand.

"There's no other place I'd rather be than by your side. I needed to make sure you were okay and I couldn't rest knowing you weren't." She started to cry.

I wiped her tears and pulled her in for a hug.

"Thank you." I held her tight.

"No problem, Will."

As she sat up from our hug, we stared into each other's eyes. She was so beautiful and caring. It made me see her in a different light. I saw her as more than a best friend to me. I saw her as my girl. No! I saw her as a wife. If someone could be by my side the way she was, even after all the shit we've been through, I want her in my life forever.

Still looking into her eyes, I felt like I needed to make a move. I leaned in, going for a kiss, when my mom walked back in. Leah jumped back as my mom looked at both of us, closing the door behind her.

"Mhmm, what were y'all doing?" My mom asked, smirking.

"Nothing." We said in unison.

"Sure, here's y'all food." She took two burgers out the bag she brought.

"Thanks, Ma." I said, reaching for my burger.

"No problem, I'm going back to work to make sure everything is taken care of when I take my leave, so I'll be back." She walked out.

Man, I can't wait to get out of this hospital. I really want to tell Leah how I feel about her, but I'd rather not do that in a hospital gown.