XXXVII.

WILL

It was finally the weekend and I couldn't be any happier. School be doing too much, then to have practice right after, I be so tired. Athletes shouldn't get homework. It's too much for our brains.

It was Friday night and I had just finished my homework that was due Monday and I was finally relaxing. I went downstairs to the kitchen to get some chips and a Gatorade, when I saw my mom packing her dinner for her night shift.

"Hey, hunny. How are you feeling?" She asked.

"I'm good, just tired. Coach had us running all week." I said walking to the fridge.

"At least, you get to relax now."

"I want you to relax, Ma."

"What do you mean? I'm fine."

"Are you really, Ma? You work insane hours. You barely have days off or time to yourself." I grabbed a red Gatorade.

"Don't worry about me, Will. I'm fine." She insisted.

I walked to the pantry and grabbed some chips. I watched my mom walk towards the fridge with a limp.

"What's wrong with your leg?" I asked, concerned.

"It's nothing. It just hurts a little, but I'm fine." She said, nonchalantly.

"Ma, I can see you're not fine. You're hurting and still working! Because of what? You want to make sure the bills are paid? You want to make sure we have groceries? That's bullshit!" I shouted.

"Willam Jamal Pierce! You watch your damn mouth! I'm not one of your lil friends!" She yelled, angrily.

"I'm sorry, Ma, but you're killing yourself trying to provide when I can help."

"I found out Jenny's is hiring. I can get a job and help out." I added.

"I don't want you to have to worry about that, son."

"Ma, I know I need a provider, but I also need my mom. You're never home and I miss you. I need you home sometimes, Ma." I said in a sad tone.

"Have you always been feeling this way?"

I nodded. "I love the fact that you want to do everything on your own, but you're not alone. We're in this together, so let's work together."

"Okay, how do you want to do that?"

"I get a job and help with a few bills. I can pay my own phone bill and buy a few groceries here and there. This would take some of the load off you and give you a break."

"Alright, we can do that, but as soon as I see that it's stressing you out or taking your focus away from school and sports, the deal is off."

"Bet!" I shouted with a smile.

I ran up to her, hugging her tightly.

"Okay, I still need to breathe." She laughed.

"Sorry, Ma I'm just excited. I gotta go tell Leah." I replied as I grabbed my snacks.

"Tell Leah, huh? Y'all been talking a lot this past week." She smirked.

"Well, since the whole Kani cheating thing, we've been talking a lil bit."

"A little? Every time I go past your room, you're on the phone with that girl." She laughed.

"Why are you nosy?" I asked, play mad.

"Boy, you talk loud. The neighbors probably know y'all business too." She joked.

I waved her off. "Whatever, I'll see you later, Ma." I jogged up to my room.