Chapter 33

Tessa's POV:

"Really. She did that. It's was so hilarious." Robert says and opens the restaurant door for get us out. I cover my mouth with my hand to control my laughter.
As we get out, a shadow came in front of me and I step back. Then I get a good look who's that, it's Hardin.

"Hardin? What are you doing?" I exclaim loudly. "You
scared the crap out of me!"
He look at Robert, then at me.
What he's thinking?

He shrugs and says, "I came
to make sure you got home okay." He's annoyed by seeing me with Robert, I can see that in his green eyes and frown on his face.

I turn to look at Robert and he nods and shrugs his shoulders, like knows exactly what I'm thinking. "Text me when you get home," he says, brushing his hand across mine as he departs.
I watch him go, then turns to Hardin with understanding smile.

"I'll hail a cab," he says.

"I usually walk."

"You walk? Alone?" he asks and look around. Then he looks at Robert's direction and says, "He walks you home."

I wince. "Only the shifts we work together."

"How long have you been dating him?" he asks. Dating?

"What?" I stop us before we even make it around the corner. "We aren't dating." I push my brows together.

"Seems like it," he shrugs.

"We aren't. We spend time together, but I'm not dating at all." I clarify.

"He wants to. The way he touched your hand," he look at me and at my hand then at me again.

"Well, I don't. Not yet." I look down at my feet while we cross the street.
I want to know him about his dating life but I don't know how to ask that to him.

"Not yet? You haven't dated anyone?" he asks and stare into the street.

"No, I don't intend to date for a while." I look at him and finally ask the question that I dieing to know, "Are you? Dating anyone, I mean?"

He turn and smile at me. "No. I don't date."

I smile back at him,"I've heard that before."

"I'm a conservative guy, remember?" I laugh.

"Why are you working in a restaurant?"

"Sophia got me the job. It's a really nice place, and I make
more money than you would think."

"More money than you would at Vance?" He asks.

"I don't mind it. It keeps me busy."

"Vance told me you didn't even ask for a recommendation, and you know he's planning on opening something here, too." I know he's looking at me but I stare at the street.

"I know, but I want to do something on my own. I like
my job, for now, until I can get into NYU." I say.

"You haven't gotten into NYU yet?" He exclaims.

"No, but I am hoping for the spring semester." I reach into my bag and pull out a keys. "The
deadlines had all passed."

"You're okay with that?"

"Yeah, I'm only nineteen. It will be fine." I shrug, "It's not ideal, but I have time to make up for it. I could always take double courses and maybe even
graduate early like you did." I calmly explain.

"Yeah, I suppose you could-"
Before he can finish, Joe steps out in front of us. Hardin steps in front of me in defence, I supposed.

"Hey, girly," Joe says.