Chapter 19

Tessa's POV:

In the morning, when I get out from my room, I see Landon is standing on the front door of our apartment, talking to someone. When I peak to see who is he talking to, there's is a police officer. Police officer?
What's going on?

When I get where Landon is, the officer nod to him and go.
"What is going on?" I ask to him.

"Someone broke in our neighbor's apartment last night." He explain.

"Oh," I gasp.

"Yeah. So the officer were asking that, did I saw anyone or hear anything or not. Did you saw or hear?" He ask me.

"No, I didn't." I tell the truth.

"Okay. I'm going for a run now. So be careful. If you hear anyone trying to open our door, just call me immediately." He ask, concern clearly on his face.

"Yeah. I'll." I shake my head. He head out, I close the door, lock it and lean my back against it and let out my breathe, that I don't know I was holding.
Someone broke in, just our next door. We could be the next target. Living in this city is terrifying and scary even.

But I don't what to live anywhere, until I finish my college at least. I didn't plan for staying here forever, but for next four years I've to.

What I should do now with my time. My today's work timing is at five so I've to do some productive thing. But first I should have some good coffee. Not hot black coffee though, if you are asking.

Some cold coffee, I've seen peoples walking in the street with go-to cups in their hands, which looks delicious. So I'm making my own, I go into the kitchen, pull out the drawer where Landon keeps coffee grounds. I grad the Brazilian espresso, push it into the machine and place a cup below the nozzel.

After a minute hot black liquid filled up the cup and I put it into the freezer. In the mean time it's getting cool down, I go to the bathroom and brushes my teeth.

When I get out and my eyes lays on the hardwood floor, it looks dirty, with the all crap in the streets of New York city, sticks on our shoes getting this floor filthy.

I go back to the kitchen, open the freezer and take out the cup. I take sip and it's really good. I pat myself on my back for making such a good cold coffee and finished my drink. It doesn't feel as good as hot black one but it will work, it has to be.

I wash the cup and put it aside. I've to do something with my time and with this dull hardwood floor too, so I go to the hallway closet, take the polishing tool and the empty spraying bottle out. I leave the tool on the floor and go into the kitchen to make some naturally polishing liquid.

First I put some liquid soap then a little bit of vinegar and filled the bottle with water and put the lid on and shake it, mixing it well. And my homemade, naturally polish liquid is ready to use.

I sit down on the floor where I left the tool, grab the tool in my hand, spray the liquid onto the floor and start to polish it with the help of the tool.

After thirty minutes the front door open, Landon is back from his run and before he step his shoes onto the floor, I shout "stop." He jolt by my voice and back away.

"What are you doing on the floor?" He asks when he sees me sitting down on floor.

"I'm polishing and cleaning the floor wood." I tell him, showing the equipments in my hands.

"Or you cleaning the blood of the person you killed, who was this time trying to broke in our apartment." He tease.

"Ha ha." I fake laugh. "It's not funny." I tell him and get to my polishing work.

"Okay, sorry I was teasing." He apologize.

"Anyway, won't ever walk on the floor with the city's street crap stick on your shoes, put them on the side of the door." I instruct him.

"Yes mam," he leans down, take off his shoes and go to his room. After some time passes, he comeback again, now dressed in different clothes. "I'm going to my classes. Keep doing what are you're doing. Bye" he says and head out, again, from the apartment.

I kept it doing for another two hours and I'm done. I put the equipments back in their places and go for a shower. The pipes are still making noises but I'm not doing anything to repair it this time, this building is old, so the sounds are coming down from the pipes. After I'm done with that too and get dressed.

I still have three hours left for my work shift to start, so I wander around the apartment. The apartment need some decor, is looks... Plain. So I head out to buy some things to decorate the apartment, not much, but something that adds up a little color to it.

Walking in the street, watching peoples and guess their life stories, where're they came from, why are they here, I love to do that.
With the noises of cars honking, peoples chattering and sounds of their footsteps, are now clamming me, relaxing my mind. And stop my mind from wandering about him.

Though it's not working, but it will as the time passes, it has to be.

After looking around and walking for forty minutes, I see a man selling some square picture frames of some cats, hanging on the wall between the two buildings. I look closely and notice that it's not just portrait of cats, cats with wearing clothes and hats. This will be a good decor and it's in my budget too. So I buy three of them, and headed to the apartment.

After I looked at every walls of the apartment, I decide to hang them on the hallway's wall. I try to hang them on perfectly in line. It takes me twenty minutes to do it in perfectly parallel with one another along the wall.

I bought, one closest to me is a tabby, its gray panama-style hat streaked with black and brown to match the wearer's fur. A big white feather sticks up from the front.
The next cat is another tabby, but instead of gray and black, it's all orange and cream.
It's fat, this one, with the bowler hat it's wearing. A tuxedo cat exhibits his top hat, naturally.

After doing everything I possible could do, it's only 4:15, I still have forty-five minutes left, not forty five, twenty. Twenty five for walking to work, five minutes early. So I sit down on the couch and watch some food relate show, which doesn't involve and any other emotion, like love, fight, kiss, sex even, between the two people. Only food and food and food.

After seven minutes or so, my phone buzzed and there is a text from him.

I debate to look or not, but there is no way I can avoid that, so I click it and see. It's says.....